Gmail.com displayed incorrectly - compatibility view?

jmt356
SilverLounger

Gmail.com displayed incorrectly - compatibility view?

Post by jmt356 »

I have two computers, each running IE 8. One of them displays Gmail.com fine; the other doesn't. On the one that doesn't, Gmail gives me the following message:
"It looks like you have enabled Internet Explorer Compatibility View. Gmail works best if you turn this off. Learn how to do this Dismiss."

I then followed the link to turn off Compatibility View, but found that Gmail and Google were not on the list of web sites for which Compatibility View was turned on (in fact, Compatability View was not enabled for any web sites).

The computer that is having the problem is running 8.0.7601.17514 and the computer that is fine is running 8.0.6001.18702. Upgrading the problematic computer to IE 9.0 would probably fix the problem, but I don't want 9.0 as it is incompatible with one of my frequently-used programs.

The problem with Gmail on the problematic computer is as follows:
- When scrolling, the scroll bar moves up and down, but the emails do not go up and down;
- Sometimes, the emails go up and down with a delay after I scroll;
- The folders on the left are juxtaposed / written on top of each other (e.g., "Chat and SMS" overlays the text "Spam" and "Trash" and it is difficult to read the names of any of the folders as they are displayed on top of one another;
- When reading an email, I generally can't scroll up and down. When there is a chain of replies, I click on one of the replies and the text does not display.

Aside from these problems in Gmail, I have no problem with IE. Also, when I download these emails to Outlook, they display fine.

Any ideas as to the problem and / or solution?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Gmail.com displayed incorrectly - compatibility view?

Post by HansV »

This problem is mentioned all over the internet, but as far as I can tell there is no clear solution.
Can you use another browser (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox) to view Gmail?
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I just realized the problem! I initially thought that because no Websites were listed in the Compatibility View dialogue box, that Compatibility was not turned on. However, Compatibility View was turned on for ALL of my Websites because "Display all websites in Compability View" was ticked. When I unticked it, Gmail displayed fine withtout the problems listed above.

Hopefully this will help others who encounter this problem, as Google's troubleshoot is not very clear on this point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

JMT

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

*Correction to the above: Gmail's instructions do actually cover the above step, stating "At the bottom of the window, make sure that the box next to "Display all websites in Compatibility View" is not checked." I just did not get that far and abandoned the instructions after reading "If you don't see "google.com" listed, or if these steps don't help you resolve the problem ..." It could in my view be written more clearly.
Regards,

JMT