Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 RTM'd

JoeP
SilverLounger

Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 RTM'd

Post by JoeP »

The latest version of MSE 2.0.657 has been released. There has been no official announcement from Microsoft but the download at Microsoft Security Essentials has been updated.

NOTE: The download page automatically detects your OS. If you need to download multiple versions of MSE use the "Locales and Languages" link beneath the download button.

Joe
Joe

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0 RTM'd

Post by Rebel »

Thanks Joe. Just downloaded and installed. :thumbup:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Joe - will this somehow install 'automagically' for those people who have had the original version installed on their home PCs because of recommendations, or will it have to be a deliberate download to get it?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

Post by ChrisJakarta »

I downloaded the update from the download page. This is a smaller file (7,685KB) compared with the previous version (12,758 KB), and has a different name (mseinstall.exe) compared to mssefullinstall-x86fre-en-us-xp. It also required me to choose the OS. For some reason, it installed (upgraded) to a different folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\) than the original (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\), and (probably as a result, did not find a definition file, so I had to install the latest version I had (10th December ) then update. It also has a different icon.

That said, it seems to be running OK now. But a bit annoying that it changes the folder.

Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

John Gray wrote:Joe - will this somehow install 'automagically' for those people who have had the original version installed on their home PCs because of recommendations, or will it have to be a deliberate download to get it?
The built-in "upgrade" feature tells me I have the latest version (1.0.2498.0). I think I'll wait until MSE updates itself or Windows Update offers it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Ah yes, the MSE 2.0; I installed it the other day replacing the old AV solution on a XP machine. I hadn't used MS products since the Defender (the anti-spyware), and a short stint with MSE 1.x on Windows 7 RC.

(It changed my settings for AU, and having a broadband connection, it downloaded a whole bunch of updates in just a few seconds, gee how fun, but that's another story.)

Only changed a few settings; didn't exclude any files or folders (not so clever); did some quick on demand scans, and then set it for a full scan... My Lord! This is the mother of all scans; it took around 2.5 hour and scanned over 2 million objects. :laugh: (I knew that it would take some time, but still... Happy I had some data off that machine.)

Did it find anything? Yes, in fact it did... in an old backup folder, inside a distribution zip file, it found the potentially unwanted software: Protected Storage PassView. :sigh: A file from 2003; here I expected some intergalactic mega-rootkit, and it mentions, after having scanned every .ISO > .cab > .msi > .ch_ > .chm > .htm file an old password software. At least it reminded me that I still have it around, somewhere. :grin: (And when I think about it, it’s possible that Defender found the same software years ago.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:
John Gray wrote:Joe - will this somehow install 'automagically' for those people who have had the original version installed on their home PCs because of recommendations, or will it have to be a deliberate download to get it?
The built-in "upgrade" feature tells me I have the latest version (1.0.2498.0). I think I'll wait until MSE updates itself or Windows Update offers it.
I have your version too Hans.
MSE up-to-date screen.png
MSE version on laptop.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Argus, my last full scan took 2 hours as well but found nothing :-)

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hey Jude wrote:I have your version too Hans.
I thought about saying it earlier, when John asked, it's been mentioned at the MS forum, that, as mentioned by other here, you have to download it the first days & weeks; the upgrade is staged. Joe was quite early mentioning it here; apparently not all at their forum knew about the release, in the early hours.

Still didn't like that it tweaked the AU settings, though I understand that it comes with the territory, sort of, even though not everyone has seen their settings change.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hey Jude wrote:Argus, my last full scan took 2 hours as well but found nothing :-)
Yes, but after all that time, at least it could have found something. :wink: In my case it did...; but I will definitely exclude some locations, as I used to do, in the future. :grin:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:Argus, my last full scan took 2 hours as well but found nothing :-)
That's probably a good thing! :smile:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Argus wrote:you have to download it the first days & weeks; the upgrade is staged.
I'll just keep on waiting - I have no issues with version 1.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Argus wrote:
Yes, but after all that time, at least it could have found something. :wink: In my case it did...; but I will definitely exclude some locations, as I used to do, in the future. :grin:
I customize my scans as well,and I'm glad it found nothing lol.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Argus wrote:
Hey Jude wrote:I have your version too Hans.
I thought about saying it earlier, when John asked, it's been mentioned at the MS forum, that, as mentioned by other here, you have to download it the first days & weeks; the upgrade is staged. Joe was quite early mentioning it here; apparently not all at their forum knew about the release, in the early hours.

Still didn't like that it tweaked the AU settings, though I understand that it comes with the territory, sort of, even though not everyone has seen their settings change.
So let me understand this. You had the same version as Hans, and your system told you it was Up to date, yet you chose to d/l the newer version which has tweaked your AU settings. From what I see,MSE is known for resetting Windows Updates. I think I'll wait. Are you able to change your AU settings once it's installed or are you stuck?

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Nope, not fully understood. :grin: In post 37658 I said:
Argus wrote:I installed it the other day replacing the old AV solution on a XP machine. I hadn't used MS products since the Defender ...
That is, I replaced something else with MSE. And if the new version hadn't been released, I probably had installed the previous version; it was time for a change, and MSE 2.0 had been released.

I had no problem changing the AU setting once I had noticed that it had changed during the install/first run, but then it was too late. :grin: 60 seconds on quite fast broadband and you have 20 updates ready and waiting... (I even knew about the "issue" before installing, that some had seen a change, but was probably too lazy. I just unchecked the "scan now" and went looking for the MSE settings as it downloaded the latest definitions. I then noticed the, ehm, activity in the tubes...).

But as I said, I had no problem changing the AU setting and deleting the folders with the pending updates. And when I did a test, after a restart, changing the setting from Off to "Notify me but don't automatically download or install them" it worked all OK. The install had also changed the preferred update mechanism from WU to MU on this computer.

As for MSE itself, it seems to be using fewer processes than my previous AV on that PC, though the amount of RAM used by those are more or less the same, slightly less for MSE. It also seems to be less obtrusive, even though, as with the other AV, it can take some time to refresh the icons when you open a folder (full of interesting files for an AV software, such as a download folder) for the first time.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Argus wrote: and a short stint with MSE 1.x on Windows 7 RC.
That is why I responded as I did :-) I wasn't sure if that "short stint" was recent or in time past. I understand what you're saying though. As long as it's possible to revert to the AU settings you prefer, then when the time comes, I will be alerted that this will change with an update. I'll stay with what I have until I am forced to upgrade or lose my security. Thanks for the clarification :grin:

Edit: I do notice that if my laptop lid is closed and the scheduled scan doesn't run, that the icon shows orange (or yellow) and says I am not protected because I haven't run a scan in awhile...so that is alleviated by just starting a "quick scan", aborting it and the green goes back on saying I am protected. If I didn't know that my scans were more than current, real time protection and virus/spyware definitions are up-to-date I would be concerned, but maybe it's just a quirk of MSE.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

MSE - Automatic Updates and footprint? is an older thread that discusses the AU changes MSE may make. How can I turn off Automatic Windows Updates in the new MSE? is a newer thread wiht more links about MSE definition updates. AU settings may changed/reset to whatever you wish as long as the Windows Update service is running.

Joe
Joe

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I don't have to bookmark all these links. It's great having history archives and great people like you to keep us informed :-)

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Joe,
As mentioned in the old thread you linked to, MSE will only change settings if AU is off, and in my case it was. So one could say I didn't do my home work on that software, or, I should have thought about it, and changed settings to not upset the install. :smile:

As for footprint; even though difficult to compare, since it's not all about RAM. I didn't use all features in my old AV, but with MSE there are fewer processes running (3 in my case), though the amount of RAM in use is more or less equal.

However, with some more experience using MSE 2 I think I can say that it isn't as fast as my earlier AV in certain situations (on my hardware), the impact on performance: when browsing folders full of files, either via Explorer or a dialogue box.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

HansV wrote:The built-in "upgrade" feature tells me I have the latest version (1.0.2498.0). I think I'll wait until MSE updates itself or Windows Update offers it.
Today, Windows Update finally offered the upgrade to version 2.0. The changeover went smoothly, I had to reboot once.
Best wishes,
Hans