Google 1 VPN

User avatar
RonH
SilverLounger
Posts: 2058
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 16:53
Location: An Aussie in Norway

Google 1 VPN

Post by RonH »

Any known issues/concerns using this VPN?
It's available free on my Google Pixel and I realise that it's a fairly basic service but perhaps some Eileen folk have usage experience.
Thanks
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

User avatar
PaulB
BronzeLounger
Posts: 1598
Joined: 26 Jan 2010, 20:28
Location: Ottawa ON

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by PaulB »

I have no experience with Google VPN. That said, trust in your provider is the most important element in choosing a VPN service. Do you feel confident sending all your internet traffic through Google servers? Do you care? Remember, while all your VPN traffic is encrypted between you and your provider, it is decrypted by your provider in order to send it on to its ultimate destination.

On the other hand most if not all internet traffic is over HTTPS connections and is encrypted between you and your ultimate destination. In this case, a VPN encrypts already encrypted communications. So what value does a VPN add to the equation?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

User avatar
RonH
SilverLounger
Posts: 2058
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 16:53
Location: An Aussie in Norway

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by RonH »

Thanks Paul for taking time out.

Do I need VPN ... not really. But I like to experiment with various technologies.

As you say, most connections are HTTPS. My Internet habits are 'careful' but if Google helps to avoid trackers I assume that is a good result? My banking is about as secure as is possible.

Do I trust Google. Yes, as much as any other ... I use a Google Pixel because I love the lack of bloat ware and their camera image quality.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

User avatar
StuartR
Administrator
Posts: 12601
Joined: 16 Jan 2010, 15:49
Location: London, Europe

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by StuartR »

A VPN provides a lot more than https. For example it can make it harder for Web sites to identify you by hiding your IP address, it can hide your DNS searches from your ISP, it can encrypt non-web traffic etc,
StuartR


User avatar
BobH
UraniumLounger
Posts: 9261
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 01:27
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by BobH »

No experience with the google vpn but I've used the Firefox VPN for several years now. I'm reasonably well satisfied, my only reservation being the limited number of choices of city.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

User avatar
RonH
SilverLounger
Posts: 2058
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 16:53
Location: An Aussie in Norway

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by RonH »

Thanks for advice gentlemen.
I think Google is an OK starting point though I do understand that most others offer more security features. The Google 1 service I am a user of helps me to 'keep it in the family'.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

User avatar
PaulB
BronzeLounger
Posts: 1598
Joined: 26 Jan 2010, 20:28
Location: Ottawa ON

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by PaulB »

StuartR wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 16:27
A VPN provides a lot more than https. For example it can make it harder for Web sites to identify you by hiding your IP address, it can hide your DNS searches from your ISP, it can encrypt non-web traffic etc,
Very valid points, Stuart. But from my perspective, this is where trust in my provider comes in. Do I trust Google? Yes, I trust them to collect all the information they can about me. That is their business model, after all: advertising and demographics. Web sites may no longer be able to identify my IP address while using Google VPN, but Google can. Targeted advertising anyone? I do use a VPN, NordVPN, but i also enable DNS Over HTTPS (DoH) to hide my DNS searches even from them. VPNs also supposedly prevent geo-blocking but try using the BBC iPlayer while running a VPN. It won't work even if you are in the UK. The same holds true for many streaming services. I have to disable VPN while using Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ etc. Simply running a VPN is now prima facie evidence that you are attempting to bypass intellectual property rights.

But I still use a VPN on my PC, smart phone and tablets!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

User avatar
StuartR
Administrator
Posts: 12601
Joined: 16 Jan 2010, 15:49
Location: London, Europe

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by StuartR »

Fair points
StuartR


User avatar
RonH
SilverLounger
Posts: 2058
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 16:53
Location: An Aussie in Norway

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by RonH »

This is an interesting article...

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/google-one-vpn
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

User avatar
StuartR
Administrator
Posts: 12601
Joined: 16 Jan 2010, 15:49
Location: London, Europe

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by StuartR »

I use a VPN for increased privacy, so I would never dream of using a service provided by Google
StuartR


User avatar
RonH
SilverLounger
Posts: 2058
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 16:53
Location: An Aussie in Norway

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by RonH »

Doubt that much privacy exists these days ...
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

User avatar
PaulB
BronzeLounger
Posts: 1598
Joined: 26 Jan 2010, 20:28
Location: Ottawa ON

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by PaulB »

RonH wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 14:02
Doubt that much privacy exists these days ...
So true!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

JoeP
SilverLounger
Posts: 2064
Joined: 25 Jan 2010, 02:12

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by JoeP »

I agree with Stuart. If you are concerned about privacy stay away from Google services. You are their product.
Joe

User avatar
RonH
SilverLounger
Posts: 2058
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 16:53
Location: An Aussie in Norway

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by RonH »

JoeP wrote:
20 Nov 2023, 16:11
I agree with Stuart. If you are concerned about privacy stay away from Google services. You are their product.
It's somewhat difficult to stay away from Google services ... Android is Google.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

User avatar
StuartR
Administrator
Posts: 12601
Joined: 16 Jan 2010, 15:49
Location: London, Europe

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by StuartR »

Android is about the only Google product that I use
StuartR


User avatar
PaulB
BronzeLounger
Posts: 1598
Joined: 26 Jan 2010, 20:28
Location: Ottawa ON

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by PaulB »

iThings 1 0 Google, or as they say over here, iThings 1 Google 0.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

User avatar
RonH
SilverLounger
Posts: 2058
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 16:53
Location: An Aussie in Norway

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by RonH »

PaulB wrote:
23 Nov 2023, 16:48
iThings 1 0 Google, or as they say over here, iThings 1 Google 0.
:laugh: :laugh:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Rookie
NewLounger
Posts: 1
Joined: 25 Dec 2023, 02:45

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by Rookie »

Good for privacy from ISP, but lacking good features like location selection.
One of the things I don't like is there is no kill switch. So, if it disconnects, you have no idea until you notice..
Last edited by Rookie on 16 Jan 2024, 03:10, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BobH
UraniumLounger
Posts: 9261
Joined: 13 Feb 2010, 01:27
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by BobH »

StuartR wrote:
19 Nov 2023, 16:27
A VPN provides a lot more than https. For example it can make it harder for Web sites to identify you by hiding your IP address, it can hide your DNS searches from your ISP, it can encrypt non-web traffic etc,
Can you share more info about how VPNs work to do those things, Stuart? Or, provide links to sites that will explain? Will you share the name of the VPN you use?

I chose the Mozilla VPN because I trust Mozilla (at least, as much as I trust anything online); and the price was/is attractive. I've been wondering about SurfShark and other providers but have not yet done much investigation; however, a new laptop should arrive next week which might provoke me from my malaise.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

User avatar
StuartR
Administrator
Posts: 12601
Joined: 16 Jan 2010, 15:49
Location: London, Europe

Re: Google 1 VPN

Post by StuartR »

BobH wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 20:57
Can you share more info about how VPNs work to do those things, Stuart? Or, provide links to sites that will explain? Will you share the name of the VPN you use?
A VPN establishes an encrypted connection from your computer to a VPN server. You then send all of your internet traffic (encrypted) to the VPN server. Anyone monitoring your internet connection cannot see the target address or the content of your messages. The VPN server forwards your requests to the real destination. Your requests are mixed in with the requests that the VPN server has received from many other users, so it is not possible to identify your traffic leaving the VPN server. This could mean that the VPN service provider is able to track all your activity, but most of them have policies that say this won't happen.

I use Mullvad VPN, which has an additional layer of privacy as it is possible to set up an account anonymously, and then to pay for the service with cash sent in by post in a old-fashioned envelope! This means that Mullvad VPN has no idea who I am, but they DO have my IP addresses, and this could allow law enforcement to ask them to provide information about my activity. Because they are based in Sweden which has very good privacy laws this is less likely to happen than if I used a provider in the US or UK.

The Mullvad VPN servers are also used by Mozilla for their VPN service, but Mozilla has a different client at the user end.

What is a VPN? And how does it protect you against mass surveillance?
StuartR