Windows Live Essentials download

RonH
SilverLounger

Windows Live Essentials download

Post by RonH »

160 MB hit my pc today (per below) as I am sure it did on 1000's of others. I have mine set to 'choose' so was saved from getting stuff I simply do not want :clapping: However, is there something in this or extra security whatever, that suggests I should 'update' a few of the WLE programmes that I use occasionally. And its a bit unclear if once you hit the install button, you can select only those that you want.
Any advice :thankyou:

Windows Live Essentials 2011 (KB2434419)
Download size: 156.9 MB
Do more with Windows on your PC with free programs from Microsoft for photos, movies, instant messaging, email, social networking, and more. Get it all in one simple download.
Windows Live Essentials includes Messenger, Photo Gallery, Mail, Movie Maker, Writer, Family Safety, and Windows Live Mesh, plus Bing Bar, Messenger Companion, Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector, Microsoft Outlook Social Connector Provider for Windows Live Messenger, and Microsoft Silverlight.
Installing this update will replace your Windows Live Toolbar with Bing Bar.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Live Essentials download

Post by HansV »

I got a choice between installing the whole bunch, or updating only those programs that I already have. I chose the latter since I don't want Messenger and related stuff on my computer.

I haven't tried Windows Live Mail 2011 yet, but I've been reading enthusiastic comments about it.
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Hans, where is the option to only update programs you have? I can only see where I have to download the whole 160mb!

thanks Jeff
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

When I agreed to download Window Live Essentials 2011, the download started, but quickly after that the dialog with the two options appeared.
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

HansV wrote:When I agreed to download Window Live Essentials 2011, the download started, but quickly after that the dialog with the two options appeared.
Ah I see, thanks I'll give it a go then. I hadn't bothered as the size of the download was daunting with my slow broadband and limited monthly bandwidth allowance.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Still, it's annoying that you can't decide on an application-by-application basis.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

HansV wrote:I got a choice between installing the whole bunch, or updating only those programs that I already have. I chose the latter since I don't want Messenger and related stuff on my computer.

I haven't tried Windows Live Mail 2011 yet, but I've been reading enthusiastic comments about it.
I get confused!! Haven't downloaded this so far as I'm unsure whether the Windows Live Mail 2011 is an update to the Windows Live Mail (version 2009 Build 14.0.8117.0416) I have which resides on my computer hard drive (ie, similarly to OE6) or if it's the one that's web based? Could someone put me straight please :scratch: ?
Thanks.
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's an update to the locally installed Windows Live Mail client, not to the Live Hotmail web client.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thank you Hans!
Regards,
Keith

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You don't download the whole 160MB up front. You'll download a small setup program. When that program runs you get to choose which of the applications you wish to install. So, unless you choose to install everything you'll download a subset of the 160MB.

Joe
Joe

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

HansV wrote:When I agreed to download Window Live Essentials 2011, the download started, but quickly after that the dialog with the two options appeared.
Hans - Afraid that hasn't happened for me!! Agreed download and it downloaded the whole 160mb - no options presented - it then told me the download was ready to install. I clicked on 'install' and it created a restore point and started to install the whole 160mb!! I immediately stopped the install - Do I now have to live with the whole WLE sitting on my computer waiting for me to install it, or will it, as I halted the installation, eventually 'disappear'? All I actually wanted was the WLM 2011 bit!!

Edited: Think I've resolved one problem - I went into the 'change settings' option on the update screen and unticked the recommended updates box - the 160mb is no longer saying it wants to install. Instead, it's telling me that I have one important update available for download
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I already had Windows Live Mail and one or two other components; that must have been the reason I got a choice between updating those and installing everything.

But since you already have the entire download, you could install it, then use the Add/Remove Software (or Programs and Components) control panel to uninstall the parts that you don't want/need.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Having started this thread and read all your comments, I think I will wait a while before I hit the install button. I already use a few of the 'Live' programmes. I also use Windows Mail (yes the original Mail) and quite separately Hotmail and it works fine for me. I use Hotmail very little since I mostly use my local email address from another provider and Hotmail keeps filling up with Junk from ladies who want me to ...
If I install Live Mail 2011 from this download will it duplicate all my settings, layouts, emailfolders, email address book etc or will I be starting all over again. :scratch:
Like others I have sitting on my pc the 160MB, not just a 'start up' small download.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows Live Mail 2011 should use the existing account(s), mail folders, address book etc.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:Windows Live Mail 2011 should use the existing account(s), mail folders, address book etc.
Thanks Hans for your reassurance that all will be well. But since we are off on vaccation shortly I think I will put on hold actions until we return. Chicken? Me? Yes!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

HansV wrote:I already had Windows Live Mail and one or two other components; that must have been the reason I got a choice between updating those and installing everything.

But since you already have the entire download, you could install it, then use the Add/Remove Software (or Programs and Components) control panel to uninstall the parts that you don't want/need.
With WLE 2011 the individual applications are not listed in Control Panel, you have to choose to uninstall Windows Live Essentials. Once the uninstall begins you'll be given the opportunity to select which applications you wish to uninstall.

Joe
Joe

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

JoeP wrote:With WLE 2011 the individual applications are not listed in Control Panel, you have to choose to uninstall Windows Live Essentials. Once the uninstall begins you'll be given the opportunity to select which applications you wish to uninstall.
Yes, that's what I found, but didn't mention explicitly.

With (for example) Microsoft Office, you get to specify exactly which components you want during the installation procedure; I find it strange and annoying that WLE 2011 offers this precise control only AFTER installing the whole bunch.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Think I'm with RonH on this one and will just hang on for a while and see if anyone actually installs the whole 160mb WLE and confirms that they were able to uninstall the not wanted bits!
:flee: Chicken times two!!!
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I can confirm that I was able to uninstall the Bing Bar, which is part of WLE 2011 - I didn't want it.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I have been away on hols for the past couple of months (lucky me being retired :clapping:) and I still have the WLE hanging on my pc ready for installing.
Any more news on this, any known complications and are we sure we can delete the cxxx we do not want to use?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.