Temporarily Losing Internet/Network Connections

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
sobershea
2StarLounger

Temporarily Losing Internet/Network Connections

Post by sobershea »

My Brother-in-law asked me why, every evening at approximately the same time, he loses his internet/network connections. The list of available Wi-Fi connections is empty, even those of his neighbors. He said he has to wait a few minutes and then reboot and all is well. So, not a major problem, just a major annoyance when you are in the middle of something. I do know his cable modem and router are in the same box from Comcast. I also know that the PC is never turned off. I do not know much about networking and Wi-Fi so I thought I would just throw this out there and see if anyone has some thoughts as to what he should look into.

TIA
Sherry

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Temporarily Losing Internet/Network Connections

Post by BobH »

Do you know if he has contacted his ISP? It sounds as if his router has some issues if it is not seeing neighborhood networks. I would start with the ISP.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

sobershea
2StarLounger

Re: Temporarily Losing Internet/Network Connections

Post by sobershea »

Bob, sorry I forgot to respond. I asked him about his ISP and he said it only happened to the one PC. The one right next to it would connect properly. After a bit of research I suggested that he update his WiFi adapter driver and Wi-Fi Firmware. He did both and hasn't had a problem since.

Thank you for you input.
Sherry