World Equestrian Games

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

World Equestrian Games

Post by Bigaldoc »

2010-09-25_235320.jpg
The first time the WEG have been held in this country opened today. It's probably the biggest "event" to hit my town, ever. Princess Haya declared the games "open" and now the competition starts.

Our newspaper story: Opening ceremonies dazzle with Kentucky people, talent - WEG: The Latest - Kentucky.com

Some photos of the opening ceremonies: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/09/25/1450 ... ate.79.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited to remove the TinyURL links.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bigaldoc on 30 Sep 2010, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: World Equestrian Games

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm sure there'll be more newspaper coverage about related equine topics during these two weeks of the Games. But this peripheral story about "Equine Massage Therapy" in our paper today makes (for me) an interesting read. I love the way she describes the horse's reaction so she knows he's enjoying her work:

Equine massage therapist's hands-on work

In one of the accompanying photos, notice the horse with his head held high and ears flexed as if to say: "Don't stop!"

Edited: Forgot to do this one yesterday when I was removing TinyURL links!
Last edited by Bigaldoc on 01 Oct 2010, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I know there doesn't seem to be any interest in the WEG here, but if I had the physical stamina for all the WALKING required, I'd love to have seen this horse and rider perform. Dressage is a beautiful and captivating sport to see and the Dutchman is unsurpassed in skill, with his mount of course.

'Toto' is Games' superstar

Dutch win team gold in dressage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Hi Al

I viewed the gallery the first day you posted it, it sure looks like there's lots of fun going on down there. Whilst I greatly admire the horse, dressage does not do much for me, Rodeo, show jumping and especially horse racing, now your talking.

It has always been a dream of mine to come over and watch the trials but most of my travelling buddies out vote me for the boxing so I normally have the pleasure of the MGM Grand and the Luxor etc. in Vegas when she who must be obeyed lets me out to play.
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Another event that I had never heard of until earlier this year, reining, seems to be a crowd favorite. It also seems to be another of the events that's "all locked" up by one or two folks. It's amazing the things that can be taught to a horse, including those that you mentioned, although jumping has always frightened me for the welfare of both horse and rider.

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Bigaldoc wrote:... although jumping has always frightened me for the welfare of both horse and rider.
Many of the novels by Dick Francis (sadly, no longer with us) go into this in some detail; scary indeed.
Sundog

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Morning all

Many moons ago I was attached to our Swindon (Wiltshire) office and my family and I rented a house in a small village called Aldbourne which was surrounded by training stables.

One of my greatest pleasures was a typically hot early British morning when the ground was damp and mist would rise to about waist height and I was walking the dog through the lanes, you could suddenly hear pounding that echoed over the still morning and made you think of the horses of the apocolypse followed a couple of minutes later by 'floating' (legs hidden in the mist) horses being put through their paces.

There began my love affair with aiding the horse owners and race course owners charities, aka betting!!
Steve
― Benjamin Franklin

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Lexington AND Kentucky get some "warm fuzzies" from most of the international visitors interview. One gripe among the compliments is the high price of food at the venue. I suppose that happens everywhere.

But this story makes me feel good about my homeplace: Foreign guests feel good about Kentucky and WEG

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Bigaldoc wrote:Lexington AND Kentucky get some "warm fuzzies" from most of the international visitors interview. One gripe among the compliments is the high price of food at the venue. I suppose that happens everywhere.

But this story makes me feel good about my homeplace: Foreign guests feel good about Kentucky and WEG
Hi Big Al

Good comments all round, I have always found the price of food in the US more than reasonable compared to the UK and a steak in the US is a STEAK (But maybe not to an Ozzie where the STEAK is a STEAK)
Steve
― Benjamin Franklin

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Well, the Games will wrap up starting at 4 pm (EDT) today and wouldn't ya know, there had to be some dirt bags crawl out of the woodwork to almost mess up someone's competition. Glad the Dutchmen WERE able to compete in spite of the vandalism (felony, according to our newspaper).

Driver foils sabotage, wins marathon despite vandalism

This table shows that UK and Germany are the medal leaders as of this morning.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Volunteers, 6,000 of 'em; and a reported attendance of 500,000 - it's over until 2014.

The Games end, honoring athletes, volunteers