Windows 11 Beta well under way

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Windows 11 Beta well under way

Post by PaulB »

HansV wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 20:09
Sure - but what do you see in the address bar if you click 'Continue to HTTP Site'?
I don't disagree with you. If I continue to the HTTP site, it shows as HTTPS. This happens with most, if not all, sites that trigger the alert. This leads me to believe that it's only certain elements of these sites that are left unencrypted, such as graphics.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That might well be.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

True. But I seem to remember something about change and Fx ignoring those, could be wrong. Anyhow, one can often see this via F12 > Network (while refreshing the page). (But if enable scripts for windows.com I don't.) Apparently there is a small image with a HTTP link. I don't see it, only text, with only scripts for MSFT running. However, loading the link (in a separate window) will show it via HTTPS ... Back where we started, sort of.
Windows blog HTTP about Windows 11.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I enabled https only in my Firefox browser and clicked that link. I saw this error message, but clicking "Try again" took me to the https site with no further errors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I changed the HTTPS Only option in Fx and was able to display the link without problems.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

BobH, it's not clear to me whether you turned the HTTPS option on or off.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

There are several third-party free utilities to check Windows 11 compatibility.

One is WhyNotWin11. It is actually a script not an executable program.

Another is Windows 11 check from Easus.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

@PaulB - Sorry for the confusion caused by my post. I turned the HTTPS option off in Firefox.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I ran the EAUS system check for Windows 11. It showed 2 deficiencies. It said that my CPU chip didn't pass yet it is an Intel i7 Core with 8GB RAM running at 2.4GHz. It also showed that I don't have a TPM which is correct. No Win 11 for me, I guess.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

@BobH,
It depends on the generation of the CPU not just that it is an I7. As I said above, there has been a big outcry about the generation of CPU required. So, that MAY change. All Microsoft says right now is that it is studying the telemetry.

If your motherboard can support TPM 2.0 there are ways to enable it. If it does not then I fear you really are out-of-luck unless someone comes up with a way to bypass that requirement for the official release.
Joe

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

BobH wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 19:31
I ran the EAUS system check for Windows 11. It showed 2 deficiencies. It said that my CPU chip didn't pass yet it is an Intel i7 Core with 8GB RAM running at 2.4GHz. It also showed that I don't have a TPM which is correct. No Win 11 for me, I guess.
Your CPU may be from an early i7 generation; the currently listed Win11 requirement is an Intel processor from at least Generation 8.

To find out which generation your CPU is from, go to Settings > System > About and look at the Processor line under Device Specifications. The first digit or two following the hyphen gives the generation. For example, my CPU is from Generation 4.
1.png
You're right, though, that the TPM requirement would keep you from running Win11 even with the latest CPU.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Here is what mine shows: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz

The information is available via Settings > About on my WIn 10 HE
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Yours is a fourth-gen I7. I doubt that Micorosft will relent for one that old. It was released in 2013. That is ancient in processor terms.
Joe

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 20:43
To find out which generation your CPU is from, go to Settings > System > About and look at the Processor line under Device Specifications. The first digit or two following the hyphen gives the generation. For example, my CPU is from Generation 4.
Hello Jay and JoeP; I looked at my Processor:-
Untitled.png
According to this page:-
Brand: Intel-(R) Core-(TM)
Brand Modifier: i3
Generation Indicator: 8
SKU Numeric digits: 130
Product Line suffix: U (... power-efficient laptops...)

If I have understood all this, my laptop (bought 1 year ago, but probably sat on the shelf for a while) is an 8th generation.
And that suggests that I don'r need to be worried about resisting the temptation :grin: to upgrade to Windows 11.

I note Joe's comment "there has been a big outcry about the generation of CPU required"
Also, I tend to lag behind Bob in my aspirations (grin)

Thanks
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

@Chris,

Your processor is on the list of supported processors. So, you should start worrying now. 😁😜😂😎
Joe

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Had a reply almost ready, but didn't post; how fun it would be if Chris' laptop with an 8th gen i3 and all that was discussed earlier would pass for Win11, and also mentioning, although thoroughly discussed on the net, this is not about performance. At least not directly, though it may matter if all security features were to be handled by said CPU.

Anyhow, as mentioned at the beginning I think, MSFT will probably take a look at performance and availability of MB firmware etc. of the generation before what was initially mentioned; that would on the intel side include 7th.

Still also matters what the CPU is connected to, the motherboard, and not only if the CPU is capable, it must be possible to enable those features. (And not all CPUs in the same generation share the same features.)

(Now I had to go on a hunt for a link I had/visited a couple of days ago; gaah. The solution was to add the words retired employee ... When the search engines do not work as before, we need a good memory. Way to go.)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8130U CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz - How can I activate the TPM on this Processor
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processo ... -p/1297310
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

That's a bit risky Argus - mentioning "Chris" and "performance" in the same sentence... :grin:
Leif

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I know, a couple of MHz is enough for most people; plenty of time to fetch a cup of tea, check the zucchinis* and read a book during boot up; :grin: and that's the irony with (possibly) passing a test for the next OS.

* Of course, I can't spell that word no matter language (and then we have those calling them (summer) squash, and I understand them for no other reason then that's easier), so had to check; now Fx's add-on suggests chauvinisms; I think I'll stick with zucchinis.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Why not call them courgette?
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Ah yes, but please see my signature. :grin: Have known, lost it; now if I add one, I lose something else.
Could also call the whole lot, "cucumber, sort of"; or we all could go full Latin and confuse each other (to Danish levels*).

(And I should've said "than", above; but posted quickly between doing "this and that".)

* "... researchers found that while a 15-month-old Danish child understands an average of about 84 words, the number for a child of the same age in neighbouring Sweden was almost twice as high."