Windows 11 Beta well under way

JoeP
SilverLounger

Windows 11 Beta well under way

Post by JoeP »

There have been several Dev/Beta releases of Windows 11. You can see the release notes at Windows Insider Blog. There is a new release almost every Thursday. Windows 11 brings a revamped UI, updated in-box applications, and just a few new features. It is more of an evolution of Windows 10 than a big bang release.

It appears that Windows 11 will be released on new hardware in time for the holiday season. By most accounts, upgrades from Windows 10 will begin early next year.

Note: Windows 11 has much more stringent hardware requirements than prior versions of Windows.See Update on Windows 11 minimum system requirements for the last update on hardware requirements. There has already been a big outcry about this so there may be further changes before the release for upgraders.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Windows 11 Beta well under way

Post by BobH »

Joe, you link returns "that page isn't redirecting properly"
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 02:30
Which one, Bob? They both appear to work fine for me.
Leif

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Leif wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 06:19
BobH wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 02:30
Which one, Bob? They both appear to work fine for me.
Both OK with me, Bob
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I just tried them both and they work correctly for me too.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

It's the second one that returns the error for me in Firefox in Windows 10, fully vaccinated updated.
Joe's Link.PNG
Seems my cookies setting might be the cause. I accept cookies elsewhere but I'm usually asked to accept them. I don't see a 'refuse cookies' setting in Fx.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

It works fine for me in Firefox 91.0.1 with all cookies refused
StuartR

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Firefox 91.0.1. Second link returns:

HTTPS-Only Mode Alert
Secure Connection Not Available

But that is as I expect based on my settings. I have the choice to continue to the http site or go back.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Does that happen every time for you? I get that prompt from time to time with Microsoft websites even though they are https, without any clear pattern.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I just LOVE this thread.
Here we all are running Win10 and a popular browser, fully updated, and one of us can't follow a hyperlink, a device that was invented in the early 1980s , in order to learn about Win11.

To quote a recent post by Chris Greaves : "I get gloomy about the current state of computer tech. Firefox is but one example."

(signed) "Grumpy" of Bonavista
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

HansV wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 18:02
Does that happen every time for you? I get that prompt from time to time with Microsoft websites even though they are https, without any clear pattern.
It happens every time I visit that particular page. I get the prompt occasionally on other sites even when they use https. I believe that is because, while they are https, some elements of the page (such as graphics) are not.

In this particular case, an HTTPS version of blogs.windows.com is not available.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

PaulB wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 19:07
In this particular case, an HTTPS version of blogs.windows.com is not available.
Uh...

S0700.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 18:28
I just LOVE this thread.
Here we all are running Win10 and a popular browser, fully updated, and one of us can't follow a hyperlink, a device that was invented in the early 1980s , in order to learn about Win11.
Yabut ... we can still dig us a hole to stumble into by changing settings, been there and all that. That said, I've seen some complaints about Firefox not being able to access this or that (or perhaps with limited functions), and I interpret that as a result of the more recent feature Enhanced Tracking Protection, i.e. the shield and corresponding settings in the, eh, Settings. That is, they've built in some tracking protection and security if you like, and suddenly it might give a different result out of the box compared to some other browser (obviously not good for their market share, but that's another topic).

Changing several settings and adding add-ons doing things, then almost all bets are off; not a problem per se, but one has to figure out what they do, impact together with other changes, and above all, remember what you have done before screaming at the monitor. :laugh: (Just talking about myself; and I don't scream.) Oh, and things do change on the other end as well, it's not all about the user's browser.

My experience, in this case, is similar to Stuart's; cookies are refused, scripts for windows.com not running, and the site loads the page.

(But not all is rose-tinted on this end; since some time I can't use quotation marks in searches at startpage.com without getting questions if I use VPN (which I do ...), Tor, other anonymous proxies, shared network, user-agent switcher, dynamic IP addresses etc. just for including quotation marks. It has been quite a lot of duckduckgo for some time.)

P.S. By following your second link ("internal" lounge), not that I needed since I knew the post, I got thrown out/logged out; we have seen that before; I usually see it with really old threads, so there you go.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

HansV wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 19:16
PaulB wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 19:07
Uh...

S0700.png
Yabbut...
I'm just reporting what Firefox tells me in their alert:
Screenshot 2021-08-20 155133.png
Regards,
Paul

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sure - but what do you see in the address bar if you click 'Continue to HTTP Site'?
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Changing my setting from not activated (only HTTPS) (though I do have an add-on for that) to HTTPS only activated for all windows I get the same result as Bob, mentioning cookies, but a refresh or a click on the Try again-button loads the page.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

For what it's worth, I cleared cache and restarted Firefox and got the same exact resulting screen.

I then loaded the Brave browser and was able to load from the link in Joe's post. I still don't know what setting in Fx is causing the glitch.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I haven't been able to replicate Argus' success in loading in Fx, yet. (I'm in Brave at the moment.)

I read the information in the link and figure that I won't be going to Win 11 anytime soon. If I read it correctly, an SSD is required among other things plus my modem must be 5G compatible. I don't understand this as I use an ISP, not the public exchange telephone system.

Maybe I read it wrong. There is a long - and tiring - list of system requirements. I wish that they had listed only the things that have changed. If that is what the list contains, then I DEFINITELY won't be going to Win 11.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you don't want Windows 11, there is little point in worrying about its requirements.
5G is definitely NOT among the requirements. They mean that Windows 11 will be compatible with 5G, but of course that is only relevant if you connect using your cell phone and if that is 5G.
An SSD would only be required if you want to use DirectStorage for some specific computer games. Not otherwise.

If you would still like to know whether your computer would be able to upgrade, wait until Microsoft re-releases the PC Health Check app later this year.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Mr. V. !!!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)