one mail merge for a group of message

BittenApple
BronzeLounger

one mail merge for a group of message

Post by BittenApple »

Hello all,

I want to do mail merge. I need to send 600 mails to one person/ email address. Is it possible to group them and send them in one email instead of 600 emails?

Regards,
BittenApple,

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: one mail merge for a group of message

Post by Rudi »

Since you refer to mail merge, try merging in Word. This will create one long letter with the 600 merges. You can email the result of the Word mail merge.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BittenApple
BronzeLounger

Post by BittenApple »

Rude,
Thanks for response!
How? My list is in a excel sheet, each row maps to some text. How can I do that? Some tips, please? Some clue?
Should I combine all the text into one and then use one email address for mail merging all those? Or should I do the merge mail and while mail merging should I edit that email before sending out?
Regards
Bittenapple

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

My initial suggestion was just in response based on my understanding of your opening post.

I have no context on what you are trying to do, so I cannot provide guidance.

Mail merge typically references a list and merges data from a single record (row) to a letter or a directory list (like an inventory). There is no mapping or relationships in this process. Whatever you want in your "letter" must exist in the source list. Since it is all addressed to one person, you do not need to have a name and email in the source list. The merge will produce one long document with the 600 combinations based on the 600 records in Excel.

To get more detailed assistance, please be clear what your objective is and describe more clearly what you want to do.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

This can not be done by using mail merge. It is just the opposite of a mail merge.

What is the purpose of sending 600 emails to one email address?
(I sure would not want to be on the receiving end of this)
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

DaveA wrote:This can not be done by using mail merge. It is just the opposite of a mail merge.
Not so. It is quite possible to group records for that purpose using, for example, a DATABASE field in the mailmerge main document. If the data source is configured with all the data in a single worksheet, one may need to use a macro to drive the process. An outline of this approach can be found at: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/offi ... 96c14dca5d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Conversely, if you're using a workbook with a separate table with just a single instance of each of the grouping criteria, a DATABASE field in a normal ‘letter’ mailmerge main document could be used without the need for a macro. An outline of this approach can be found at:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... 42e46fa103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For a working example, see:
http://www.msofficeforums.com/mail-merg ... tiple.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

BittenApple
BronzeLounger

Post by BittenApple »

Hello all,
Referred to Post=241955,
on other hand, one person doesn't like to receive 600 emails in his/ her inbox.

I have gone through Post=241964, that might give me a solution but it can't figure out how,

This is exactly what I have, please view the attachment.

Regards,
BittenApple
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you need to send ALL the data in that table to one person?
Best wishes,
Hans

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

BittenApple wrote:This is exactly what I have, please view the attachment.
Your attachment is nothing more than a copy/paste of the table from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... a5d?auth=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It's hard to see how "This is exactly what I have"...
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

BittenApple
BronzeLounger

Post by BittenApple »

Hans,
Yes, correct, I need to send the data in this table to one person. In reality some of managers have 5 rows such as attachment, and below that 5 rows, there is another manager with 3 rows and then another manager with 4 rows.

Mr. Paul Edstein,
Yes, I attached this word document to let you know how my table looks like, my table is in Excel. Please kindly view the response provided to Hans,

In reality, I can copy and paste 5 rows into body of an email and send it to one manager, then I start a new email, start copy and paste rows for next manager. I thought, it should be an easier approach.

Regards,
BittenApple

macropod
4StarLounger

Post by macropod »

In your original post, you said:
BittenApple wrote:I need to send 600 mails to one person/ email address. Is it possible to group them and send them in one email instead of 600 emails?
Now you're saying:
BittenApple wrote:In reality some of managers have 5 rows such as attachment, and below that 5 rows, there is another manager with 3 rows and then another manager with 4 rows.
It's rather hard to reconcile these two statements. Grouping all into one email instead of 600 is a rather different proposition to making groups of 3-5 emails from 600 records. Perhaps you could clarify your requirements. The solutions in the links I posted will satisfy the latter.
Paul Edstein
[Fmr MS MVP - Word]

BittenApple
BronzeLounger

Post by BittenApple »

Mr. Paul Edstein,

I had first scenario first, I wanted to send 600 docs/rows combined and to be sent to one manager; then I was pulled into another project which is the second one. I understand the confusion and sorry about it.

I read the solution but I couldn't figure out how. I need to read it again.

Regards,
BittenApple

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Word MVP Graham Mayor has created an add-in that simplifies doing what you want. You can find it at Merge Many To One. The download link is at the bottom of the page.
Best wishes,
Hans

BittenApple
BronzeLounger

Post by BittenApple »

Hans,
It is too technical and I need to spend a lot of time to figure out how to do it and there is a chance to face with errors that I can't fix it.
Regards,
BittenApple