Privacy protection and cookies

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Privacy protection and cookies

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Home_IMG_20180916_105354305.JPG
My understanding of Cookies is that they are self-disciplined chunks of text that make my online experience more pleasant.
A cookie that remembers my bank account number and leaves me only to fill in my PIN (and if I am at a novel WiFi source, the name of the first movie I saw) seems like a good idea.
I can’t think of anything else that is truly useful to me.
So if I delete my cookies on a regular basis – for example, every time I load MSWord or MSExcel, what have I got to lose?
I already maintain a password document with “Account number”, “password” and “name of street where I lived when I was 23 years old”, and copy/paste passwords (“b615rqsxofl”) as required. It is no big deal to copy/paste the account number. An extra step, yes, but no big deal.

Are cookies an over-promoted issue today - as distinct from the pre-hacker days?

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Privacy protection and cookies

Post by HansV »

Surfing the internet might be difficult if you clear cookies during a session. For example, you'd be logged out from Eileen's Lounge if you delete its cookies while composing a post, making it impossible to submit the post...
But otherwise, there is no major objection...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Surfing the internet might be difficult if you clear cookies during a session. For example, you'd be logged out from Eileen's Lounge if you delete its cookies while composing a post, making it impossible to submit the post...
But otherwise, there is no major objection...
Hmmmm. Thanks Hans.

I think I will save my cookies and then try deleting them all.
As I outlined above, this should produce only an inconvenience, which I must value against my feelings of privacy.

There again, when I am traveling I think I ought to be able to key in account numbers and passwords to do email and banking if/when my laptop is out of action/stolen/lost

Cheers
Chris

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I use two browsers. One is for sites where I want to be remembered, like Eileen's Lounge. The other browser is for every other site, and I have it set to delete all cookies whenever I exit the browser.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

StuartR wrote:I use two browsers. One is for sites where I want to be remembered, like Eileen's Lounge. The other browser is for every other site, and I have it set to delete all cookies whenever I exit the browser.
Thanks Stuart. Once I come back from holidays, that is, when I am not living precariously, I'm going to try life-without-cookies for a while!

Cheers
Chris