And Now for Something a Bit Different

BobH
UraniumLounger

And Now for Something a Bit Different

Post by BobH »

Thunderbird is my email client. I've used it for quite awhile and like it!

Some time ago I set it up to default the addressee as a BCC. It works great. This allows me to share email with a list of folks without their knowing to whom else I sent it.

Lately I have discovered that this arrangement is causing a problem for a ListServ that I subscribe to. Their software forces my posts out to an exception file where an administrator has to review it because the TO: address in the email text contains "unidentified recipient" (or something close to that) which is apparently a marker for spammers. I read in a Mozilla note that changing a value in config.editor to 'false' might work. It apparently did not.

Has anyone else ever encountered this? I find the BCC default addressing to be too useful to give up easily, but I don't like to create the need for constant attention from an admin.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: And Now for Something a Bit Different

Post by HansV »

I don't think any program setting in Thunderbird can solve this. You could use your own e-mail address (or one you specially create for this purpose, not named 'Unidentified recipient' or similar!) in the TO: box. That way, the list server will see a regular e-mail address and hopefully, will let your message go through without intervention.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Hans!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi BobH, have you tried this? P/S. I haven't.
RR.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:I don't think any program setting in Thunderbird can solve this. You could use your own e-mail address (or one you specially create for this purpose, not named 'Unidentified recipient' or similar!) in the TO: box. That way, the list server will see a regular e-mail address and hopefully, will let your message go through without intervention.
How would that help? As I read Bob's problem stuff he's sending to the listserv is going BCC so, no matter what he puts in the TO field, the copy that's destined for the listserv / the message from the BCC field that's going to the listserv will still be going to an 'unidentified recipient'.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you enter x in the To box and y in the Bcc box, y will still see x. My interpretation was that the list server objected to the 'undisclosed recipient', not to the use of Bcc. But I could be wrong of course.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

After testing by placing my own email addy in the To box, the posts are still bouncing at the ListServ's mail client front end. When I view source for the message, there is no To field present even though I explicitly changed my address to To and the listserv was left at BCC.

I've made 2 more test posts but have yet to see the moderator's response to them. In one, I placed both recipients in To boxes; however on the one sent to me, viewing message source revealed no To addressee.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas.
Best wishes,
Hans