Word Macro short cut assign Cannot Type anything in

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Word Macro short cut assign Cannot Type anything in

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi

I wanted to assign a shortcut Key to some macros.
This article, for example
http://wordribbon.tips.net/T008058_Assi ... t_Key.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gave me these very clear instructions
_1 Display the Word Options dialog box. (In Word 2007 click the Office button and then click Word Options. In Word 2010 and Word 2013 display the File tab of the ribbon and then click Options.)
_2 At the left side of the dialog box click Customize (Word 2007) or Customize Ribbon (Word 2010 and Word 2013).
_3 Near the bottom of the dialog box click the Customize button. Word displays the Customize Keyboard dialog box.
_4 Scroll through the Categories list and select the Macros category. The list at the right side of the dialog box changes to show the currently available macros.
_5 In the Macros list, select the macro you want assigned to the shortcut key.
_6 With the insertion point in the Press New Shortcut Key box, press the shortcut key you want to use. For instance, if you want to use Ctrl+Alt+J, press that.
_7 Just below the Current Keys box you can see whether the shortcut key is already assigned to a different function.
_8 Click on Assign.
( _ I think 7 should read _7 Just to the Left of the Keys…… )

I am stumbling at point 6. It will not let me type anything in ???

I also tried at the point of starting a macro recording where it gives me the option to assign a Keyboard combination. But same problem , it simply does not let me write anything in ???

I have tried this on two different computers with XL 2007 and XL 2010. Same problem
I tried in macros in the macro module for the uploaded file, as well as in the macro that module that always seems to be there, “NewMacros” module in “Normal” Project ,- ( I have no idea where that came from it was always there after I recorded my first macro )
I also tried at the point of starting a macro recording where it gives me the option to assign a Keyboard combination. But same problem , it simply does not let me write anything in?

I do not think it is a Bug, or else it would be unlikely to ne in both xl2007 and 2010 and I am sure many people would have noticed it before if it was..

Hmm.. I am missing something obvious ( again :( )
Alan
I am having difficulty logging in with this account just now.
You can find me at DocAElstein also

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Word Macro short cut assign Cannot Type anything in

Post by Rudi »

Doc.AElstein wrote:I am stumbling at point 6. It will not let me type anything in ???
Are you pressing the actual shortcut key?
You cannot type the characters in there, you have to press the actual shortcut key to insert it into the textbox.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Ahh – sussed it – that often happens after I prepare a question !! - You can only select Ctrl or Ctrl + Alt. I knew that was the only allowed combinations, but it does not let me type that in specifically.
I must hit
Either
The Crtl key and a single letter. – It will accept that
Or
The Ctrl Key + Alt Key and a single letter. - It will also accept that

( Note also:- it will not let you paste in something like Ctrl + G
Strangely it pastes in Crtl + V
….weird ? )

_...........................
For anyone else getting the problem:

'1 Display the Word Options dialog box. (In Word 2007 click the Office button and then click Word Options. In Word 2010 and Word 2013 display the File tab of the ribbon and then click Options.)
'2 At the left side of the dialog box click Customize ( Germen:Anpassen ) (Word 2007) or Customize Ribbon (Word 2010 and Word 2013).
'3 Near the bottom is a (German: TastenKombination, ( Anpassen...) ) Keyborad combination ( Customize…) Button. Hit that
'4 Scroll through the Categories list and select the Macros category. The list at the right side of the dialog box changes to show the currently available macros.
'5 In the Macros list, select the macro you want assigned to the shortcut key.
'6 With the insertion point in the Press New Shortcut Key box, press the shortcut key you want to use. For instance, if you want to use Ctrl+Alt+J, press that. NOTE: you must hit the key Ctrl and a single Character or the keys Ctrl+Alt and a single character. It will not let you type in anything else, not even Ctrl or Alt etc.. – you must hit the keys Ctrl and a character or the Ctrl + Alt keys and a character. (You also cannot paste in a valid combination) You cannot type in that character string
'7 Just towards the left of the Current Keys box you can see whether the shortcut key is already assigned to a different function.
'8 Click on Assign.

Sorry to waste your time, but posting helped me get there anyway, so thanks :smile:
Alan

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Rudi wrote:
Doc.AElstein wrote:I am stumbling at point 6. It will not let me type anything in ???
Are you pressing the actual shortcut key?
You cannot type the characters in there, you have to press the actual shortcut key to insert it into the textbox.
Thanks Rudi - I just noticed that and posted!!
Thanks for the reply, Sorry to waste your time - I often get things just after i have carefully prepared a question to post !

Alan

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Doc.AElstein wrote:... but posting helped me get there anyway, so thanks ...
We have a phrase for that here... It's called: "Lounge Magic".
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Also known as PoP: the Power of Posting.
Best wishes,
Hans

Charles Kenyon
5StarLounger

Post by Charles Kenyon »

A couple of notes about keyboard shortcuts:

1. You can also use the Shift key, so you can have Ctrl + Shift + Alt + letter/Fkey.
2. You can have sequences. So, for Macro 1 you could use Ctrl+Shift+M followed by 1, and Ctrl+Shift+M followed by 2, for macro 2, etc.. These would show up in the Window as Ctrl+Shift+M,1 and Ctrl+Shift+M,2.

Doc.AElstein
BronzeLounger

Post by Doc.AElstein »

Hi Charles Kenyon,
Thanks very much for the reply and extra info.

_1st ) Ctrl + Shift + Alt + letter/Fkey
I had not noticed that in any Google search. I found the Ctrl and Ctrl + Shift quite restrictive so that was a useful addition. ( Although the extra finger stretching takes a bit to get used to! ).
I have tried
Ctrl + Shift + Alt + letter
And
Ctrl + Shift + Alt + Fkey
This is working well for me.
Is this new? Do you know of any documentation on this?

_2nd ) Sequences.
I had noticed that I could type extra things after a comer. I was curious as to what this was. I have been able to assign the macro as usual
MacroShortCutCombinations.JPG
http://imgur.com/bVgHTs9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imgur.com/a/kaF2x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However I am ( EDIT was ) unable to select such a combination. Possibly I am ( was ) missing something obvious again?

For example in the above screenshot, I am able to select
Ctrl + Shift + Alt + B
Or
Ctrl + Shift + Alt + F9
and code Sub Makro9BBBold() starts.

I am unable to select ………. EDIT …. I just did ….. ( "Lounge Magic"….PoP ) …. OK – I Hit first
Ctrl + Shift + B
Take fingers away, then
Hit

Got it. I should have read properly what you said…
“ ….….You can have sequences. So, for …….
Use
Ctrl+Shift+M
followed by
( Take fingers away then
Hit )
1……….
……”

And this _2nd option is not such a strain on the fingers!!!!
Thanks for letting me in on what appears a secret! – a couple of hours goggling and I have not found it documented yet !!?!! (Do you know of any documentation on this? )

Thanks again for the reply, appreciate it :cheers:
( and thanks that I am allowed to post to get the ……"Lounge Magic"…[/] ( and secret tips ) )

Alan

_......

P.s.
I noticed
_2a) Once I have a macro assigned to a like, Ctrl + Shift + B,1 , then I can no no longer use
Ctrl + Shift + B with no following sequence number
_2b) I can also use a letter like, Ctrl + Shift + B,B
_2c) You can use various other Key combinations after the comer
MacroShortCutCombinations.JPG
http://imgur.com/52rWctJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://imgur.com/a/GuDXX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
_2d)(i) You do not add the comer yourself when assigning. Once again you first do like Hit
Ctrl + Shift + B
Take fingers away, then Hit like
Shift + B
_2d)(ii)If you try to add a comer , you get two ,,
Ctrl + Shift + B,,
That does not work in as much as you cannot use that combination of
Ctrl + Shift + B
Take fingers away and Hit
_..... so not quite sure what that means…