Place + in front of a word which must be found and - in front of a word which must not be found. Put a list of words separated by | into brackets if only one of the words must be found. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.
- dog cat bird = All search results contain posts with ALL three words. (Searches are by default inclusive (using AND condition))
- +dog +cat +bird = Same as above
- +dog cat -bird = Search results contain posts with both dog and cat, but not bird. (Using a + or no identifier is the same, using - is exclusive for that word)
- +dog -cat = Search results always contain the word dog but never contain the word cat
- (dog|cat|bird) = Search results contain posts with only one of the three words (similar to an EXLUSIVE OR condition)
- (dog|cat) +bird = Search results contain posts with either dog or cat but always bird
- ha*d= Searches for words that begin with ha and end in d, for example had, hand, hard, happened.
After entering the search terms, press Enter of click the magnifying glass button to search.
For more options, click the button to the right of the magnifying glass.
In addition to a keyword search, you can search for the author of posts.
And you can specify search options:
- Search in forums - Here you can select specific forums in which the search should be performed. Multiple forums can be selected by holding down the "control" or "command" key.
- Search subforums - If this option is selected, then any subforums of the selected forums will be searched as well.
- Search within - This allows you to specify which part of the posts should be searched:
- Post subjects and message text - Both the post subject and the post body will be searched.
- Message text only - Only the body of the posts will be searched and not its title.
- Topic titles only - Only the topic titles will be searched.
- First post of topics only - The first post of each topic will be searched and no other posts in the topic.
- Display results as - This option formats the search results to only show either the post contents or just topic titles.
- Sort results by - Orders the results based on either Author, Post time, Forum, Topic title or Post subject. The results can be displayed in Ascending or Descending order.
- Limit resuls to previous - Limits the results to posts made in specific time frame.
- Return first - Formats the results to only contain a specific number of characters of the matching posts.
Credit to BobH for asking about this.
Original version by Rudi. Updated 21-Apr-2021 by HansV