HP Stream 7 tablet hangs on new build

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

HP Stream 7 tablet hangs on new build

Post by BobArch2 »

My HP Stream 7 tablet was updated to Windows 10, Build 10240, when it was first released. No problems.

First failure:
On Thursday, November 12, 2015, I went looking for Build 10586 and the system found the update and started the initial steps (downloading and preparing for the install). Before starting the actual install an error message displayed indicating that there was an error and I should retry. The retry said the update was not available. I elected to wait it out

Second Failure:
On Friday, November 13, 2015 around 10:20pm, the update was again available and I started the update process. There were two downloads and "preparing-to-install" processes which completed without issues. The tablet then restarted and the install process clicked in. As you are no doubt aware, there are three steps... 1) Copying Files, 2) Installing Features and Drivers and 3) Configuring settings. The first step completed successfully and step 2 froze at the 40% mark. This was 1 hour and 10 minutes into the process. I decided to leave the system powered on and went to bed. At 6:30AM the next day, the system was still at the 40% completion mark. I forced a shutdown and restarted the tablet. On restarting, the system performed a restore to Build 10240 and all was well with that environment.

Third Failure:
On Saturday, November 14, 2015 around 9:15AM the update was available again and I started the update process. Exact same result as the Second Failure.

When checking the Internet for possible causes for the failures, there were indications that the Insider Preview build, 10586 was freezing at the 44% mark when updating tablets. The suggested solution was to remove the microSD card before attempting the install. There were also indications that they hoped MS would resolve the issue before the general release to the public on November 12. Obviously, in my case, that was not the situation. Another found thread was to remove the microSD card and replace it with a USB flash drive. The premise was that the update process was not recognizing the microSD card but would see the USB flash drive for the needed extra storage for the update process steps.

Sunday, November 15, 2015... the microSD card has been removed and replaced with a USB flash drive attached with a USB micro-B / OTG cable. The flash drive is recognized by the tablet but as of this writing, the Build 10586 has not reappeared.

I will report back when the attempt #4 is complete.

As a side note, when I attempted, under build 10240, to backup to the microSD card, the system said the card wasn't present. However, this was only for the backup process... all other access, OneDrive, Dropbox, personal Documents etc stored on the D: (microSD) worked properly.

As a final note, I did update to Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 10586 November 4th, 2015 on my main dual-booting PC and the system was installed without any issues and is running fine.

[Edited to correct typo]
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Re: HP Stream 7 tablet hangs on new build

Post by HansV »

Wow, what an adventures. Let's hope that the next attempt succeeds!
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:Wow, what an adventures. Let's hope that the next attempt succeeds!
Adventure...sound more like torture!

TX for the detailed documentary Bob. I'm sure that many will be able to benefit from the experiences you so kindly share here.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: HP Stream 7 tablet hangs on new build - RESOLVED

Post by BobArch2 »

My HP Stream 7 tablet is now updated to Windows 10 Home version 1511 Build 10586.11.

I started the frustrating process a week ago, as noted in the original posting, and today, decided to try other approaches.

Research after three failed attempts suggested removing any microSD add-on card and perhaps add a USB flash drive for added storage.

My tablet comes with a system drive called an eMMC device and it has 32GB of pure storage (29GB available). I also have a 64GB microSD card for added storage. Last Sunday, I removed the microSD card and added a USB flash drive connected to the micro USB port. From that day until this morning, I tried several times during each day to get the update. To no avail. Only Defender updates were coming through. I did some additional research and there were suggestions from MS that failed installs might not make the update available again for upwards of a month.

My revised approach was to get the upgrade via a direct download and employ the Upgrade Now option. Just for "giggles", I reinserted the microSD card and also added the USB flash drive. Same results as previously noted... freeze at 40%.

I used the Disk Cleanup tool and CCleaner to free up as much space as possible on the eMMC card and then tried again. But this time, I removed both the microSD and USB devices. (I had lots of time on my hands :laugh: ). Less than a hour later the entire download and install process was completed successfully.

There were but a few glitches... namely CCleaner was removed by the update process (incompatible albeit it was v5.11) and my Dropbox, One Drive and data folders located on the non-installed-microSD resulted in error messages. After powering down, reinserting the microSD card and restarting, all the folders on the microSD card were relinked with very little effort.

My only other concern was why winver was showing the build to be 10586.11 when all other references on web sites and postings showed the new build was 10586.3. I started thinking that perhaps the .11 was tagged for tablets. Then I found this article. Other findings indicated than the current build, as of today is 10586.11.

Here endth the saga... :hairout:

P.S. I downloaded and reinstalled CCleaner 5.11 and all is OK.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Wow - all's well that ends well...
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

This is a great detailed account for any others struggling with this update on tablets.
TX for the info Bob, I'm sure it will prove invaluable for others having a tablet with these same issues.

One point: Cleaning up as much of your internal storage and then doing an install without the micro or USB storage extra (on a 32GB) seems to work, but on a smaller 16GB tablet, this seems to not work due to the storage restrictions, based on replies in this thread from Cah. This seems to still be an issue...
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Update re the issue with CCleaner and version 1511 build 10586.11.
As noted above, the new build did not like CCleaner, v5.11, and auto-uninstalled it. I reinstalled it and all seemed to be OK.

However after closing down Win 10 and starting up the next day, it again uninstalled CCleaner. This glitch only occurs on the tablet. No issue with Win 10 on my dual booting PC.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have no problem with CCleaner on my desktop PC with Windows 10 either.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

My link above to go to the Update Now option in the "direct download" link has been modified by MS to exclude the option.
Regards,
Bob