Program destination

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Program destination

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I’m in the process of creating a program that uses excel, word and PDF files. As I set up this program so that it can be downloaded an installed and since there are different types of operating systems. Where might be a good destination, Like possible a default folder. The reason why I ask is I have experienced a problem between XP and Vista, and I’m trying to find a good destination with all operating systems.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Program destination

Post by viking33 »

ABabeNChrist wrote:I’m in the process of creating a program that uses excel, word and PDF files. As I set up this program so that it can be downloaded an installed and since there are different types of operating systems. Where might be a good destination, Like possible a default folder. The reason why I ask is I have experienced a problem between XP and Vista, and I’m trying to find a good destination with all operating systems.
I created a new Desktop Folder called "Downloads." I can get at it from both OSs to install them, if that's what you mean?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

ABabeNChrist wrote:I’m in the process of creating a program that uses excel, word and PDF files. As I set up this program so that it can be downloaded an installed and since there are different types of operating systems. Where might be a good destination, Like possible a default folder. The reason why I ask is I have experienced a problem between XP and Vista, and I’m trying to find a good destination with all operating systems.
Do you mean a good destination for the program itself?

Or do you mean a good destination for associated data files?

Is there going to be user generated data?

Joe
Joe

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Hi Bob
I’m using Clickteam install creator to download a program I developed and as I’m setting it up it’s requesting for a destination to download program too. What I’m hoping to do is, find a universal location or default folder that would work for all operating systems.

Because I have noticed that with different operating systems like XP to Vista there are some difference regarding the format of programs. I’m just trying to find a good solution for a safe location to download

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

ABabeNChrist wrote:Hi Bob
I’m using Clickteam install creator to download a program I developed and as I’m setting it up it’s requesting for a destination to download program too. What I’m hoping to do is, find a universal location or default folder that would work for all operating systems.

Because I have noticed that with different operating systems like XP to Vista there are some difference regarding the format of programs. I’m just trying to find a good solution for a safe location to download
Give the desktop folder a try. As I said, it works for me in both XP & Vista.
IF you have some spare room, you might even create a small partition just for downloads.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I previously had program set up with a pre-selected destination of C:\Program Files, but of course that will not work with Vista, and as Hans has mentioned to me previously that Program files is not a good location for these types of files. I have had a problem with Vista operating correctly when downloaded to desktop, it seemed that during download that not all the files worked or operated correctly. I had to instruct the user to uninstall then reinstall to their My Documents folder in order to have program operate correctly. So that’s why I’m trying to come up with a destination I may use so that even a non computer person could just select next, next and next on the download.
Also when you mean Desktop, do you mean the folder at C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Desktop or do mean the actual Desktop. I have XP

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In XP, your own desktop is C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Desktop; in Vista and 7 it's C:\Users\<username>\Desktop. The "Default User" one is used for newly created users, so that's not a suitable location.
Doesn't ClickTeam have an option to let the user select the install location? That would be much better.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See Environment Variables in Windows XP and Environment Variables in Windows Vista and Windows 7. You want to use %ProgramFiles% for the program install directory. You should choose between %APPDATA% and %ALLUSERSPROFILE% for the non-exe files.

As long as those environment variables exist you'll be OK.

NOTE: for the program itself you may need to take into account whether you are installing on a 32-bit OS or a 64-bit OS.

Joe
Joe

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

Thank you JoeP and Hans
HansV wrote: Doesn't ClickTeam have an option to let the user select the install location? That would be much better.
Yes it does have an option for install location, but I have had an experience were a user that had Vista, installed this software on their decktop and they were receiving file sharing error . When I had them uninstall then reinstall into their My Documents everything worked great. I’m sure it could have been some other problem causing it.
I think for now on I will give download instruction