Post by Bowlie »

26 billion million gigapixels

Appears to be summer-time though ....

HansV
Administrator

Re: I love Paris in ...

Post by HansV »

Fascinating!

Another good one, although "only" 18 gigapixels, is of Prague from its TV tower.
Best wishes,
Hans

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

HansV wrote:Fascinating!

Another good one, although "only" 18 gigapixels, is of Prague from its TV tower.
What a beautiful city! I love the way all the buildings in the neighborhood are built around enclosed courtyards.
Samantha

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Prague is a very beautiful city; you can see the historic city center to the west in the panorama (look for the church spires).
Best wishes,
Hans

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Hi all

Its a shame I can't see the Paris one, I will try when I get to my home, however just the music conjured up a sterotypical image of a Parisian street with an onion seller on a bike (striped shirt of course) and people sitting at roadside Cafe's. Loved the Prague one it must be 20 years since I was there and forgot how nice it was, since I was there though I notice it has now got sky writing :grin: The picture knocks my 12 megapixel camera into a somewhat well squashed coked hat.
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

And another one: the German city of Dresden (26 gigapixels).
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Makes me all misty eyed. My wife and I spent our 25th wedding anniversary in Paris last April.

Ken

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

stuck wrote:Makes me all misty eyed. My wife and I spent our 25th wedding anniversary in Paris last April.

Ken
Awww you are a romantic :clapping:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

I always love finding stitching errors in these Gigapixel images....this one is particularly scary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

gigapan: Hanauma Bay has some funny (or scary) glitches:
x54.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

A little voyeuristic I know but this poor lady was having an innocent early morning sun bathe and the chance to text a few friends and this happens. What you could say was a Room with a View :boxedin:
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Paris, circa 1962, before Billie and I were married. Our first trip from Orleans to the big city. Taken with an el-cheapo Kokak Instamatic:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Almost 50 years later, it hasn't changed all that much:
Fouquet.jpg
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Holy cow, that outta sight, Hans! Wonder where all the sidewalk tables went?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

On the one hand, it's clearly not summer in the recent picture; on the other hand, there's probably some kind of regulation that limits sidewalk tables to, say, 10 feet from the building. There are tables under the awnings.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Al, what makes this so wonderful is the fact I was there only last year....running! No, not another running story but I went out early one morning along Av des Champs-Élysées when I couldn't sleep and took in all these sites. I carried on from Champs-Élysées and down to Musée du Louvre then back to the Hotel.

I stopped to look in the window of Fouquet's and felt like a Dickensian pauper child eyeing the prize turkey.

Google Maps shows where you were standing on avenue George V to take that pic
Jerry

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I wasn't gonna do this, but most of you know how I can't resist a little anecdote, especially when the joke's on ME! This is why that picture is at the core of a little story. Billie had been to Paris with some of her army lady friends and I with a few of my male comrades in the company where we worked. But this was to be our first trip on a "date" together. When Billie and I were preparing for the ride in my little tiny English Ford Anglia, she suggested that we stop in the Parisian outskirts, park the car and use the Metro.

Typical 25 year old male that I was, I uttered my now infamous quote that it's impossible to get lost in Paris since "... all roads lead to the Arc de Triomphe!" Well, not only did I get lost (my first drive in Paris) but when we finally got to the Arc, I got in that roundabout and couldn't get OUT of the blessed thing. It took me several turns around the circle to get up my nerve and we finally made it out. I don't remember where we parked the car, but I DO remember that on all of our future trips, we used the Metro as Billie had suggested.

Forty eight years later, the picture or the story still brings a wry grin to her face!

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Bigaldoc wrote:my little tiny English Ford Anglia
Way to go! My first car was a Ford Anglia. It looked just like the one from Harry Potter, same colour! If I'd known it was going to be nearly famous one day I wouldn't have taken it to the scrap yard when I gave up the unequal struggle of making it road worthy.

Ken

Bowlie
5StarLounger

Post by Bowlie »

Bigaldoc wrote:Typical 25 year old male that I was, I uttered my now infamous quote that it's impossible to get lost in Paris since "... all roads lead to the Arc de Triomphe!" Well, not only did I get lost (my first drive in Paris) but when we finally got to the Arc, I got in that roundabout and couldn't get OUT of the blessed thing. It took me several turns around the circle to get up my nerve and we finally made it out. I don't remember where we parked the car, but I DO remember that on all of our future trips, we used the Metro as Billie had suggested.
You DROVE in Paris! You're a better man than I, Gunga Al!

My own anecdote: Took my Mum to Paris on one of her (too few) trips to Europe. We took the TGV to Paris, and while there we used both the Metro and Taxis to get around. On the last day we had to drop Mum of at the Gare de Nord, for her trip back to Frankfurt to catch her flight home, and then we needed to get to the Gare de Lyon for our trip back to Geneva. It was a fairly early departure so we elected to take a Taxi rather than confront the Metro with suitcases etc.

When the taxi showed up my Mum actually clapped. It was a lady taxi driver, and Mum thought that she was going to have an easy journey ... Well, I didn't open my eyes for much of the trip, but I swear we went through the arc rather than around it. St. Germain to the Gare in less than a minute (ok, maybe 2). I don't think Mum has ever recovered.

She has since become Buddhist and lives in a Monastery in the Rocky Mountains, (but that is another story!)

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Bowlie wrote:My own anecdote: Took my Mum to Paris on one of her (too few) trips to Europe. We took the TGV to Paris, and while there we used both the Metro and Taxis to get around. On the last day we had to drop Mum of at the Gare de Nord, for her trip back to Frankfurt to catch her flight home, and then we needed to get to the Gare de Lyon for our trip back to Geneva. It was a fairly early departure so we elected to take a Taxi rather than confront the Metro with suitcases etc.

When the taxi showed up my Mum actually clapped. It was a lady taxi driver, and Mum thought that she was going to have an easy journey ... Well, I didn't open my eyes for much of the trip, but I swear we went through the arc rather than around it. St. Germain to the Gare in less than a minute (ok, maybe 2). I don't think Mum has ever recovered.
Good story! I can relate to the taxi driver thing, having been there too!
She has since become Buddhist and lives in a Monastery in the Rocky Mountains, (but that is another story!)
I can't wait to hear it... Later perhaps?