How to Create A Registry Key

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

How to Create A Registry Key

Post by hlewton »

I want to be able to right click on a file and be able to send it using my Outlook but Outlook is not recognized as my email client and it seems this is a well known problem when using Office 64bit. It seems, as Hans said, I should be using Office 32bit version but since I am stuck with the 64bit version for some unknown reason I believe I have to create a Registry key to correct this problem. Here is the article I found that says that:
Using Outlook 64-bit with 32-bit Applications
Using 64-bit Office is not recommended unless you need large (2GB) file support in Excel or Access. There is no benefit in using Office 64 bit for "normal" users. Also, you cannot mix-and-match Office 'bitness' - you need to use all 64-bit or all 32-bit Office applications. See 64-bit editions of Office 2010 for Microsoft's recommendations.
If you are using Office 64 bit, check this registry key and create it if it does not exist.

Outlook 2016

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook
String: Bitness
Value: x64
I will attach a screenshot of the Registry to where I believe I must create that key but I have no idea how to create the key. I think the key I need to create is called String but not at all sure. Can you tell me step by step what to do once I get to the “Outlook” key in the Registry?

Thanks.
OutlookRegistryKey.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: How to Create A Registry Key

Post by HansV »

Select Outlook in the left-hand pane.
See if there is an item named Bitness in the right-hand pane.
If so, double-click it, then change the value from x86 to x64.
Click OK.
If there is no item named Bitness in the right-hand pane, right-click Outlook.
Select New > String Value from the context menu.
Change the name of the item from New Value #1 to Bitness.
Double-click Bitness, enter x64, then click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans I believe I got it but will post another screenshot here to be sure. I rebooted and it is still doing the same thing. The only question I have about creating the Registry String Value key is - is the "x" in x64 an "x" or should I have used the "*" to represent a "times" symbol?

I am trying to Right click a file and "Send to" a "Mail Recipient." In doing so I get the error dialog box I will also post a screenshot of. I have checked and Outlook 2016 is the default app for my email. Any other ideas how to fix this problem? Is there some setting within Outlook itself I should be looking at?
EditedRegistry.jpg
OutlookError.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It should be in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook

instead of in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Outlook
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I saw that but I don't find an Outlook under 16.0. I'll post another screenshot. Can I create that then recreate the Bitness key and if so once again how would I create the Outlook key under 16.0? Would I right click 16.0 and choose New Key and name it Outlook? Then follow your previous instructions to create the Bitness key?

I deleted the Bitness key I created earlier since it wasn't where it should have been.
Reg.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I think I did the registry editing correctly this time but it still gives me the same error message. Any further ideas?
Reg2.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That looks correct. Perhaps it's time to reinstall Windows AND Office from scratch...

(And if you do, choose the 32-bit version of Office)
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:That looks correct. Perhaps it's time to reinstall Windows AND Office from scratch...

(And if you do, choose the 32-bit version of Office)
I have a question about that. When working with the MS technician he mentioned that if he couldn't get the 64bit version of Office to work he may have to run a "Repair" on Windows. He claimed that a "Repair" would not affect any of my installed applications. What you're suggesting seems a bit more drastic than a "repair" if I am understanding correctly. So if I get them to run a "repair" do you believe what he told me that I will not lose any of the applications I have and do you believe a "Repair" would fix it as well as doing a reinstall?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can try a repair, but you have gone through so many steps that didn't work that I think starting from scratch would be preferable.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I know that would be the best choice. I have a couple programs, for whatever reason, would need to be reinstalled with the help if their technicians. For instance I have Kodak all in one printer that, even from day one 4 or 5 years ago, had to have the assistance of Kodak's support to get it working correctly. Then there is the PC lifetime subscription to my anti-virus program that I would have to call about in order to get it up and running again. It's just a big pain that I really don't want to have to face if there is any way possible to avoid it.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

hlewton wrote:I think I did the registry editing correctly this time but it still gives me the same error message. Any further ideas?
Reg2.jpg
Just buttin' in here...

I compared your Registry setting to mine for the Office 16 app. Aside from the fact that yours is set to 64 bit versus my 32 bit, I have more entries under the Office 16.0 folder. I wonder if this has anything to do with your issue. Is it possible that the MS tech only installed the Outlook app and not the full Office 365 app? Just curious. [will butt out now]
BA_Reg.png
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
hlewton wrote:I think I did the registry editing correctly this time but it still gives me the same error message. Any further ideas?
Reg2.jpg
Just buttin' in here...

I compared your Registry setting to mine for the Office 16 app. Aside from the fact that yours is set to 64 bit versus my 32 bit, I have more entries under the Office 16.0 folder. I wonder if this has anything to do with your issue. Is it possible that the MS tech only installed the Outlook app and not the full Office 365 app? Just curious. [will butt out now]
BA_Reg.png
First off you're not at all butting in. All comments and thoughts are appreciated. However, I do have all the Office applications installed I had just cut off the screenshot and didn't include them in what you were looking at. I will attach another screen shot that is a bit more complete and I think you'll see the apps are installed. What is not showing for some reason is Access, which I use all the time, plus a few other Office programs that I don't use.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
reg3.jpg
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

First, I am replying via my iPad which makes editing a quote a bit cumbersome so bear with me.

The reason I suggested that MS might have installed Outlook only is because of the nature of the folder structure.

In my environment the folder structure is Office with a sub folder of 16.0 followed by sub folders for all the apps from Access through Word.

In your environment the folder structure is Office with a sub folder of 16.0 followed by sub folders for Outlook and Common only. All of remaining apps, with the exception of Access are sub folders of Office.

It might be OK, but perhaps that might impact finding proper paths. Just saying.
Regards,
Bob

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

hlewton wrote:... All comments and thoughts are appreciated. However, I do have all the Office applications installed I had just cut off the screenshot and didn't include them in what you were looking at. I will attach another screen shot that is a bit more complete and I think you'll see the apps are installed. What is not showing for some reason is Access, which I use all the time, plus a few other Office programs that I don't use...
Further to reading of your various issues as seen in your postings in various forums in The Lounge, coupled with the Registry entries for Office, I have come to the thought that your current installation of Office 365 is corrupt.

If I was faced with your issues, I would first backup all my personal Office files ... Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Word etc.

I would then access my Microsoft Account and remove any license(s) associated with the troublesome PC. Then I would uninstall Office 365 and remove all traces of its existence. I would run CCleaner including the feature to clean out the Registry. There will no doubt be many entries associated with problems in the Registry. In lieu of allowing the removal of all invalid Registry entries, you could deselect them all and them select the Office entries only for removal. And, remember to allow the backup of the Registry before removing undesired entries.

Once complete, I would reboot my Windows 10 environment.

Now, you do have that 2GB Office 365 file that the MS Techs downloaded to your PC that could be used to reinstall a 32bit version of Office 365. However, I would not trust the file. I would download a fresh version of Office 365 from the Microsoft site and install a fresh version. The default install should be the 32bit version which should be appropriate. Once installed, you could copy all your previously backed up Office file back to their appropriate folders.

As stated, if your issues were mine, those are the steps I would take.
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:First, I am replying via my iPad which makes editing a quote a bit cumbersome so bear with me.

The reason I suggested that MS might have installed Outlook only is because of the nature of the folder structure.

In my environment the folder structure is Office with a sub folder of 16.0 followed by sub folders for all the apps from Access through Word.

In your environment the folder structure is Office with a sub folder of 16.0 followed by sub folders for Outlook and Common only. All of remaining apps, with the exception of Access are sub folders of Office.

It might be OK, but perhaps that might impact finding proper paths. Just saying.
You could well be right. I just am not that savvy about all this to know. Thanks and if I have to call MS again I will bring this up.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:
hlewton wrote:... All comments and thoughts are appreciated. However, I do have all the Office applications installed I had just cut off the screenshot and didn't include them in what you were looking at. I will attach another screen shot that is a bit more complete and I think you'll see the apps are installed. What is not showing for some reason is Access, which I use all the time, plus a few other Office programs that I don't use...
Further to reading of your various issues as seen in your postings in various forums in The Lounge, coupled with the Registry entries for Office, I have come to the thought that your current installation of Office 365 is corrupt.

If I was faced with your issues, I would first backup all my personal Office files ... Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Word etc.

I would then access my Microsoft Account and remove any license(s) associated with the troublesome PC. Then I would uninstall Office 365 and remove all traces of its existence. I would run CCleaner including the feature to clean out the Registry. There will no doubt be many entries associated with problems in the Registry. In lieu of allowing the removal of all invalid Registry entries, you could deselect them all and them select the Office entries only for removal. And, remember to allow the backup of the Registry before removing undesired entries.

Once complete, I would reboot my Windows 10 environment.

Now, you do have that 2GB Office 365 file that the MS Techs downloaded to your PC that could be used to reinstall a 32bit version of Office 365. However, I would not trust the file. I would download a fresh version of Office 365 from the Microsoft site and install a fresh version. The default install should be the 32bit version which should be appropriate. Once installed, you could copy all your previously backed up Office file back to their appropriate folders.

As stated, if your issues were mine, those are the steps I would take.
Thank you and I do agree.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Let me ask something because I do believe my Office may be corrupt. I have Revo uninstaller on my computer do you believe running it instead of the Control panel's uninstall program would be better and then run CCleaner? I ask this because MS did run something twice trying to remove the previous Office installations but neither of the programs we are talking about now. I believe it was Control panel's remove they ran.

I just checked the other computer running Office 2016 without any problems at all. I think I have further fuel for the fire if it means anything. I drilled down to the same folder in the Registry and under the 16.0 folder it had every office program listed, as I believe you think it should. So because MS did all this, when I get a spare 4 hours in the next few days I will call them again and use all this information and try to insist they do all you said and then reinstall Office 2016 32bit version.
Regards,
hlewton

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Running Revo Uninstaller has merit and then followed up with CCleaner for good measure.

Checking your other PC's installation of Office 365 adds proof to a corrupt install on the other PC, IMHO.
Regards,
Bob

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobArch2 wrote:Running Revo Uninstaller has merit and then followed up with CCleaner for good measure.

Checking your other PC's installation of Office 365 adds proof to a corrupt install on the other PC, IMHO.
As you may gather I am a bit apprehensive about all this to make sure it is done correctly. I just have 1 more question once the uninstall and Ccleaner is run would it be a good idea to run Regedit and completely remove the 16.0 folder?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can do that manually, but if all goes well, Revo Uninstaller should take care of that.
Best wishes,
Hans