Conflicting address in Hyperlink (Word 2000)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Conflicting address in Hyperlink (Word 2000)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

This has been puzzling me for years, and I wonder if anyone can on it shed some light:
Hyperlinks within a Word2000 document show two different address depending on the method used to view them.
1.JPG
The screen shot shows the views obtained by (upper) "right-click and choose Edit Hyperlink" and (lower) Tools, Options, View, Show Field codes.

The r/c, Edit Hyperlink says "http://www.chrisgreaves.com/[b]ExpertGr ... Access.htm[/b]"
While View Field Codes says "http://www.chrisgreaves.com/[b]emailer/ ... (Word).htm[/b]".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Conflicting address in Hyperlink (Word 2000)

Post by HansV »

Sometimes the dialog displays the URL of another web page that you have open in your browser. Could that explain the discrepancy?

The path in the field code is the one actually used by the hyperlink.

(Where does "ExpertGroup" come from, by the way? Although the link with "ExpertGroup" is valid, the subscription link on your website doesn't use it.)
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Conflicting address in Hyperlink (Word 2000)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Sometimes the dialog displays the URL of another web page that you have open in your browser. Could that explain the discrepancy?
It can't be so. Logically. Imagine a desktop computer with no browser, no connection to the web, ever. I believe (but cannot prove) that Word 2000 would still demonstrate the behaviour in my post.
I'm just viewing a single hyperlink field in a Word 2000 document in two different ways, all within Word 2000.
HansV wrote:(Where does "ExpertGroup" come from, by the way? Although the link with "ExpertGroup" is valid, the subscription link on your website doesn't use it.)
You're not supposed to ask those sorts of questions here, Hans!
I'm in the process of rebuilding my web site and using it as an excuse to test an application that tracks down broken links.
I used to stick a lot of stuff under /Expert/ until about three months ago, then went for a "vertical" assembly instead of a tree-like; much easier on the nerves.
As part of the clean-up (remember ResetHyperlink?) I thought to have a little macro enhancement of ResetHyperlink that would detect /Expert/ and remove that string from hyperlinks.
Either my VBA code doesn't see the /Expert/ or, after removing it, the hyperlink itself seems to retain the /Expert/ although I can't see it.
Hence the screen shot in this thread.
I find it very odd.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace