How to secure your facebook

StuartR
Administrator

How to secure your facebook

Post by StuartR »

I work with an international program called Safe and Secure Online and one of our presenters has just published a really helpful document titled How to Secure your Facebook with step by step instructions for increasing security and privacy.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: How to secure your facebook

Post by stuck »

:eyeout: That's a comprehensive document! Thank you for the link.

Do you know if the owner of the doc has a strategy to keep it up to date?

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

stuck wrote:...Do you know if the owner of the doc has a strategy to keep it up to date?
I believe so, and that is why I provided a pointer to the page where I downloaded it from, as well as the link to the PDF file.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:
stuck wrote:...Do you know if the owner of the doc has a strategy to keep it up to date?
I believe so,
AND they still have time for a life? That's even more impressive. :evilgrin:

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm going to continue going through it to see if I can "translate" his ideas to current. The very first section gave me that clue since it's already out of date with the revised Facebook format.

As already mentioned, it'll be a great reference if he keeps it up to date and I for one will pass it on to MY Facebook friends.

Thanks for the tips...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The latest version of this document is dated October 2011, so I guess Facebook has changed since then.

The author of the document also maintains http://www.staying-safe.org which provides advice to parents.
StuartR

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Whoops, that's quite a document. Well, we are after all talking about Facebook's privacy and security settings. :evilgrin: Good that someone has taken the time, and put them in a file. And, again, since we are talking about Facebook, as mentioned, it would probably need to be maintained.

If you don't mind Stuart, given the subject, I'll add a link to a site that often comments on the issue.

The F-Secure blog, News from the Lab, got a sister blog, sort of, some years ago: Safe and Savvy. It covers several aspects of how to protect one's "online life"; it is supposed to be more about real-life experiences and less into technical details, thus it is suitable also for less tech savvy people.

Here's a link to their Social media category on the blog, that includes many posts about Facebook.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Argus wrote:...If you don't mind Stuart, given the subject, I'll add a link to a site that often comments on the issue...
Mind? I'm delighted!

This is what the Lounge is all about, stimulating ideas and sharing useful content.
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

StuartR wrote:The latest version of this document is dated October 2011, so I guess Facebook has changed since then. ...
Facebook has been "rolling out" what they call Timeline for some time now. Initially it was voluntary but I think they're now almost mandating the Timeline.

Timeline is a replacement for what, up until now, was called a user's Wall (or profile page). Many people commenting seem to like it but it's much more difficult to read in my opinion.

Anyway, the location of lots of stuff in Facebook has changed as a result of all of this and his programmers seem to (needlessly?) change things that "ain't broken" all the time. Even the Facebook Help pages seem to always be out of date because of the rapid changes in programming made.

DaveInPitt
StarLounger

Post by DaveInPitt »

StuartR wrote:I work with an international program called Safe and Secure Online and one of our presenters has just published a really helpful document titled How to Secure your Facebook with step by step instructions for increasing security and privacy.
Thanks for the info Stuart! I will share this info with others. It's really important to understand.
DaveInPitt
Pittsburgh, PA

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

DaveInPitt wrote:Thanks for the info Stuart! I will share this info with others. It's really important to understand.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, keep in mind that MANY of the Facebook screens have changed, a LOT, in the past few months. The reference document posted by Stuart is pretty out of date and context at this time. Its ideas are GREAT, but the specific instructions (screenshots) are out of date.