At Start-up

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

At Start-up

Post by Dave Davison »

In my what's running at "Start-up" program (see att) what is not really necessary and how do I stop them from running to speed up the start up sequence? Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leif
Administrator

Re: At Start-up

Post by Leif »

You should find an answer to most of those by searching for them at BleepingComputer.com

For example: iTunes Helper - iTunesHelper.exe - Program Information they state:

"Installed with Apple's iTunes for Windows. Uses ~3-4MB of memory and if disabled in MSCONFIG or deleted from the registry it will re-instate itself after running iTunes a few times - hence the reluctant Y recommendation"

Regarding qttask.exe however, they state "System Tray access to Apple's "Quick Time" viewer from version 5 onwards". If you regularly run Quick Time then it will give you faster access to the program, otherwise I'd disable it in MSCONFIG, and put up with it taking a few seconds extra to load when you do need to use it.

(Try expanding the 'Command line' view in your TaskManager or WhatInStartup window, and search for the exe file shown at BleepingComputer - e.g. hkcmd.exe rather than HotKeysCmds.)
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

In addition to Leif's reply: it depends on whether you want/need the applications the entries are associated with.

I'm a bit worried about the nameless first entry. Can you get additional information about it by double-clicking the entry?

You appear to have two backup programs: Easeus Backup and Nero BackItIp. Do you use both?

Do you use ITunes?
Do you use Instant Messenger?
Do you use QuickTime?
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

My simple rule is first to disable all the "third party" programs, like Nero, iTunes, Epson, Java Update, etc, and see what happens. If something stops working, then re-enable the appropriate one, and reboot.

Then work on the Microsoft/Intel and video/sound programs.

Of the ones you show, I suspect you could get away with disabling every single one of them! (ctfmon.exe will come back, like a bad penny.)

I don't like the look of "GEST", whatever it is.

If you really want to see what gets loaded at startup, run Autoruns (from Mark Russinovich), look at the vast quantity of Stuff, and then click on the "Logon" tab to reduce the list to more or less what MSCONFIG shows.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

John Gray wrote:I don't like the look of "GEST", whatever it is.
GEST is a "Dynamic energy management utility for Gigabyte motherboards" - seems legitimate.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks to all who responded, seeing its well past midnight here in the frozen north I'll peruse the advice later and see what I can safely disable. Thanks Dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Un-ticked many of the boxes with no adverse reactions, YET! clicked on that 1st icon Hanse (see screen shot); / iTunes, I use occasionally; Inst Mess, Quick time & some others (unticked); Question; The list shown in "What's in Start-up" differs from that when Start /Run/ misconfig / Startup is accessed, puzzled :scratch:. Thanks again -as ever- Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Unfortunately, we can't see the entire Location string in the last screenshot.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Hans.............Secunia is in fact the last item in the list, I just cropped it there to reduce the size of the screen shot.
Here is the full view. Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Dave,

What I meant is that we cannot see the complete path in the Location box in the Properties window:
1sticon.png
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

WinPatrol is a good tool for stopping/starting programs. http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

SORRY Hans, please forgive my ineptness. Despite that, I regret to say there is no further text in the path of the last item
than was shown in the former screen shot. The properties window will not expand any further!!!!! :bash: Regards Dave.
Last edited by Dave Davison on 09 May 2011, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What happens if you click in that box and press End on the keyboard?
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

cont.....just installed WinPatrol and wondered if -as John stated earlier in the thread - he would still recommend I disable all shown in the latest screenshot using WinPatrol which (from the comments I briefly read on the web page) is highly recommended. Thanks Dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

cont........hit the "End" key with this result...Thanks. Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think that item does anything, I'd clear its check box.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

THANKS @ 12:10AM ........Dave.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

One thing that hasn't been mentioned and it's one of the reasons I like WhatInStartup over other choices.

It'll stop those apps that try to re-set themselves to run at startup even though you uncheck them in MSCONFIG.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

THANKS FOR THAT POINT AL & IN FACT ALL THE CONTRIBUTIONS, MUCH APPRECIATED BY ONE THAT SEEMS TO FOREVER GRAPPLE WITH THIS COMPLEX STUFF. THOUGH I AM WHERE I AM TODAY LARGELY DUE TO THIS COMMUNITY. SINCERELY DAVE.