obtaining all XP updates

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

obtaining all XP updates

Post by stuck »

I've rolled back an old XP laptop via its factory reset option. This means it's back at XP service pack 2.

I'd like to update it as far as I can but Windows Update just gives me an error, "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view". My first idea was to update IE6 to IE8 so I did but still Windows Update fails.

Does anyone know if Microsoft has turned off the XP update servers?

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: obtaining all XP updates

Post by viking33 »

stuck wrote:I've rolled back an old XP laptop via its factory reset option. This means it's back at XP service pack 2.

I'd like to update it as far as I can but Windows Update just gives me an error, "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view". My first idea was to update IE6 to IE8 so I did but still Windows Update fails.

Does anyone know if Microsoft has turned off the XP update servers?

Ken
I don't know but I'll reboot into XP and see if I can get updates. There should be plenty. Let you know
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

OK, meanwhile The Lounge Magic (TM) kicked in and as soon as I made the post my Googling turned up this:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 62ce0b959f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those instructions have fixed my problem and WU is offering me Service Pack 3 :joy:

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

stuck wrote:OK, meanwhile The Lounge Magic (TM) kicked in and as soon as I made the post my Googling turned up this:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 62ce0b959f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those instructions have fixed my problem and WU is offering me Service Pack 3 :joy:

Ken
Speaking to you through my XP partition. WOW! It's been a while since I was here! 2/2014.
Anyway, I can access Windows Updates fine. I have 87 High Priority updates ans a lot more optional ones. I guess I really should dedicate a little time to get everything updated!.
Going back to Win 7 as fast as I can!
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.