Two Strange Effects Encountered

BobH
UraniumLounger

Two Strange Effects Encountered

Post by BobH »

First, I see this . . .
PM.png
on my screen, but when I check PMs there are none that I have not read. I have 2 inboxes but I checked both of them.

Second, while checking PMs and selecting the second inbox, I was abruptly logged off. If I mistakenly clicked something, I don't know what it might have been.

:scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Two Strange Effects Encountered

Post by Rudi »

You have negative 2 unread messages?!
Does that mean you have already read two messages that still need to be delivered????
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

How do you mean that you have two inboxes? In Eileen's Lounge, each member has only one inbox...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:How do you mean that you have two inboxes? In Eileen's Lounge, each member has only one inbox...
2 inboxes.png
This also shows that I have 2 messages in the Outbox - which might account for the -2 unread messages. How does one ensure that messages in the Outbox are sent. One of them has been there for a couple of days now. Does PM not sent outgoing messages until one logs out and back in? If so, there is a problem because I have logged out and in since one of them was put there.

This is not really a high priority issue. I report it only because there might be an issue that needs addressing with the forum software.

As for the 2 Outboxes, the second was created when the first filled up. This occurred some time ago, but I don't recall when . . . perhaps more than a year ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ah - you must have created a custom folder named Inbox2 (and another folder named Saved PMs) at one point.

A PM is sent instantaneously. It remains in the Outbox until the recipient has read it (or, if you sent it to multiple members, until at least one of them has read it).
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Bob, can I hop onto your thread here too with an additional question...
Hope you don't mind.

If my inbox is FULL, will I still be able to receive PM's? I assume that it will just start to truncate off from the bottom? Alternative...I will just not receive anything until I empty the box. please confirm? TX.
1.jpg
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

As I understand it, Rudi, the Inbox will hold 50 messages and no more. When it fills up, you cannot retrieve new messages. Understand that I've been worng (sic) before . . . too many times to recall or relate.

IIRC, that is what happened to me. I did not take the time to cull through my Inbox and created a second (custom one, Hans?). New PMs go to the custom inbox somehow.

HTH
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Rudi,

When your inbox is full, you won't be able to receive messages until you either delete some messages from your inbox or move them to a different folder (you can create custom folders for this purpose).

(See below for more accurate information)
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Not necessary.. I will just cull. Nothing important in there.
TX for the replies Bob and Hans.

It's good that I saw this (because of Bobs questions). There was no alert of any kind...and I would probably have started feeling that nobody likes me anymore :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

When your inbox fills up you can create a new folder called INBOX2 and tell the lounge to deliver new mails to that one instead. It will allow you to store 50 mails in each inbox.

Technically I have configured the UI so that if the inbox folder is full it moves new messages to the new INBOX2 folder, but the effect is as I described.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I saw an option in Stuarts screenshot that opts for deleting oldest message if inbox is full.
Is this applicable? (Not that it really matters now.. I have wiped all 50 msg's)
Regards,
Rudi

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That option could be appropriate, so long as you don't have any old messages that you need to keep.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Good to know...
I have changed the setting to this. PM's are just banter and if any one happens to contain useful info I would copy it to my PC for reference.
Cheers
Regards,
Rudi