Heavy Graphics use

RonH
SilverLounger

Heavy Graphics use

Post by RonH »

Seems I am at times 'pushing the pc' to limits with the video editing programmes that I use.
Is this an issue to be concerned about?

How can I find out from the Event Viewer which specific programme is the culprit?
Event 500 501.JPG
I have unticked Aero Peek on the desktop ... anything else?

The primary software that I run is:
CyberlinK Power Director
Lightworks
Audacity
Photoshop Elements
Hallmark Card Studio
... but not all at the same time :grin:
Also at times I use dual monitors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Heavy Graphics use

Post by HansV »

You could start Task Manager, activate the Processes tab and sort it descending on CPU use. That way you can see which application(s) put a heavy load on the CPU.
Also, if you notice that the computer's fans start working very hard while using a program, that program is probably the culprit.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Will work through it ... thanks Hans
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My money is on Cyberlink Power Directer since
a) Video processing will strain any PC, unless it has lots of RAM, a fast CPU and a top-end graphics card.
b) The Cyberlink photo editor I tried once brought my otherwise responsive PC to its knees just trying to open and convert a 10 megapixel RAW file to a jpg. It didn't matter it was a free version of a full package, it was unusable, i.e. I don't think much of Cyberlink software :grin:

Ken

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Ken,

Thanks for your post.
My pc has reasonable specs but Its a real possibility that Power Director is the culprit. Though I have the pc set at max performance and have used this software over a few years now without too many crashes and none of the recent 'over stressed' comments now appearing in the Event Viewer. But I am also going through a fast learning course with Lightworks Pro editing which, though so very complex, is very 'light' on resources :fanfare:

I find Power Director very 'understanding' ... perhaps the earlier versions were a bit 'ify'.

If I route out the offender I will post here.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

HansV wrote:You could start Task Manager, activate the Processes tab and sort it descending on CPU use. That way you can see which application(s) put a heavy load on the CPU.
Also, if you notice that the computer's fans start working very hard while using a program, that program is probably the culprit.
Also, on the Performance tab of Task Manager, click the Resource Monitor button (or just run Resource Monitor directly from the Start menu) and watch the CPU and Memory sections as you work in various programs. Sort the CPU section on the Average CPU column, and the Memory section on the Working Set column, so the programs using the most of each appear at the top of the lists.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Jay.
I will work through my programmes over time and keep an eye on resource usage.
Trying to 'think back' to what I may have done/installed/changed/uninstalled etc on the 28th June 2014 is a possible 'clue' ... this is the first time these 500/501 Events were logged. Hopefully the Event Viewer will assist me here if I go through all the various reports.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Had the same 500/501 Event issue at the time only Chrome was in use. I wonder if Chrome is the culprit given what I am experiencing regarding audio/vision synch. covered in this post:
http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=17160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Because the 64 bit version of Chrome offered no synch benefit I have reverted back to 32 bit on both browsers (Chrome/IE 11) which has the advantage of auto Java which unfortunately I have to use. The 64 bit Java has no facility to check latest version so you have to do a manual check at there site.

Any ideas where I can further explore the graphics issue?
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

How about using Firefox or Internet Explorer?
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Indeed Hans ... IE 11 works perfectly :clapping:
But being a 'gotta solve it' kind of person, I have been pursuing this issue with Google and it looks like they have issues with Hardware Acceleration. I have turned it off in the Chrome Settings and voilà, now we have synch :smile:

This is what I was told:
We've seen a lot of hardware acceleration issues since our last release. Can you please visit your settings, scroll down to advanced and deselect use hardware acceleration when available and let me know if that changes anything?

I suspect (though not tested yet) that this may also resolve the 500/501 Event Viewer reports.

Perhaps other Eileen members have these issues so I hope this helps.

Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good news! Let's hope your Event 500/501 problem has been resolved now.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I guess that most of you gurus are familiar with the Microsoft 'test you browser' speeds. This is a good one:
http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Performance/Pirates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I tested also on Chrome with and without the Hardware Acceleration ... IE 11 came up trumps. I assume these test drives are not biased :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think those benchmarks are unbiased...
Best wishes,
Hans