Editing E-mail Received before Forwarding

BobH
UraniumLounger

Editing E-mail Received before Forwarding

Post by BobH »

(I've probably put this query in the wrong place. Please move it to the correct forum, if so.)

I receive and forward a lot of email to friends and acquaintances. Lately I've noticed that many emails are sent as attachments. This makes it impossible to 'clean' the tracks of the email to protect the privacy of those who sent them to me. There are too many addy collectors who sell them to others; so I try never to send an email with the 'tracks' still visible. It is not possible to simply remove the email addys if forwarding one that came to me as an attachment using Thunderbird, my preferred email client.

I know that I can view the source of the email and see the routing information. What I don't know is the syntax or other controls that apply to the routing information. I've tried copying the source into Notepad and editing out the routing history without success. Can anyone tell me what the rules are so that I can edit these attached messages and 'clean' their routing history? Is it possible to do?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: Editing E-mail Received before Forwarding

Post by jonwallace »

Does this article help, Bob.

In thunderbird, if you go File->Save as while in a message or with one selected, then the resulting saved file is a .eml. This letts you follow the instruction in the link above.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:(I've probably put this query in the wrong place. Please move it to the correct forum, if so.)
Certainly is an unusual choice of forum for this post?! (...not consider Other E-mail Clients?)

You may find that people might not take this post too serious being in Scuttlebutt.... :clown: :hairout:
...but I won't.... :evilgrin:

(Only wish I could answer it though!! :groan: )
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

In case anyone ever runs into this and uses the Search function, I'm including the solution I hit on after reading the link Jon Wallace sent.

If I find an email has a forwarded email attached (included as an attachment), I learned that I can click on the attachment and open it then click the Forward option which then allows me to delete the email addresses that were contained in the attached email. I can then forward it without all those addresses to whom it has been sent before I got it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I agree that Other email clients is a better forum for this than Scuttlebutt, so I waved my magic wand.
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Ahhh, the power of the Stu.... :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I was awarded my magic wand by powers greater than both of us
StuartR

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Must be :eileen:
:hailpraise:
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Rudi wrote:Must be :eileen:
:hailpraise:
+1

:rofl:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)