Getting ready for a natural disaster

Claude
cheese lizard

Re: Getting ready for a natural disaster

Post by Claude »

HansV wrote:If you drink enough wine you won't notice the cold.
By the way, I thought temperatures didn't fall below 0 Celsius in Sydney?
Oh come-on Hans ! It snowed in a Sydney suburb in 1973 for 2 minutes, even made the news !

My digital camera's battery wasn't charged at the time, so I can't post a photo :innocent:

Seriously: generally speaking, the coldest it gets around here is 9-10 degrees, but, with the humidity and howling wind and rain, it is pure agony :sigh:
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

How did you survive the winters in your native Switzerland?
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

18°C is freezing point in Sydney !!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

We were in the 80s (Fahrenheit) last week through the weekend. Early this morning - before oh dark thirty - we had a cold front come through with thunderstorms and strong winds. It was in the 40s this morning and is supposed to go below freezing tonight. I've planted my garden twice already. Looks like another planting might be in the works.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

mishmish3000
PlatinumLounger

Post by mishmish3000 »

And you've changed your avatar back BobH! Sorry about your garden. here, the trees have decided to leaf out but I'm afraid the freeze tonight is going to be very bad for them. Sigh.
Anne

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

mishmish3000 wrote:And you've changed your avatar back BobH! Sorry about your garden. here, the trees have decided to leaf out but I'm afraid the freeze tonight is going to be very bad for them. Sigh.
The change was due to many complaints of small children scared and many NSA agents becoming ill. :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:
mishmish3000 wrote:And you've changed your avatar back BobH! Sorry about your garden. here, the trees have decided to leaf out but I'm afraid the freeze tonight is going to be very bad for them. Sigh.
The change was due to many complaints of small children scared and many NSA agents becoming ill. :flee:
And you think that deep and intense stare from Mr Dachshund is any less scary!!!
Regards,
Rudi

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I'm terribly sorry to bud in here, but, back to the topic. The flood waters are now receding, the damage is becoming clearer now that there is road access to the area. One thing is for sure, we will have a fruit and vegetable shortage in roughly a month time, translation: massive price increases. Most of the banana plantations have been destroyed. 3 years ago, after cyclone yasi, bananas were almost $15 a kilo (now you can get them for $1.50). So, time to buy big and dry fruit and veggies. :sigh:
Cheers, Claude.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I must comment on the strange names for these storms.
-- Ita
-- Yasi
-- Dachshund

No 'human' names?
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ita is a girl's name if Irish origin.
Yasi is a name from Fiji.
And Dachshund is German, so it is appropriate for 'Sturm und Drang' (if you had a pair of dachshunds, you could name them 'Sturm' and 'Drang'... :grin:)
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

If you had a pair of dachshunds, you could name them 'Sturm' and 'Drang' >>> Excellent... :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Claude wrote:I'm terribly sorry to bud in here, but, back to the topic. The flood waters are now receding, the damage is becoming clearer now that there is road access to the area. One thing is for sure, we will have a fruit and vegetable shortage in roughly a month time, translation: massive price increases. Most of the banana plantations have been destroyed. 3 years ago, after cyclone yasi, bananas were almost $15 a kilo (now you can get them for $1.50). So, time to buy big and dry fruit and veggies. :sigh:
Thank you for letting us know about the storm, Claude.

Sometime ago, on another forum I used to frequent, there was a fellow from Cairn - a furniture maker. Seeing the town name and being inquisitive (many would say curious - :hairout: ), I did some Internet searching and learned that there were some historic buildings preserved in good order there. I hope that the storm brought no harm to them.

Cheers!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

HansV wrote:Ita is a girl's name if Irish origin.
Yasi is a name from Fiji.
And Dachshund is German, so it is appropriate for 'Sturm und Drang' (if you had a pair of dachshunds, you could name them 'Sturm' and 'Drang'... :grin:)
Having lived with 6 different dachshunds thru a period of more than 50 years, I can attest that those would be perfect names for a pair of them. They can sometimes create a perfect storm which usually leads to some stress. :clapping: :clapping:

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)