Idiots like me are a dying breed (Ctrl-Break)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Idiots like me are a dying breed (Ctrl-Break)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Is there a really good reason why I shouldn't blow $30 on a keyboard for my laptop?

I've been too ashamed to admit it until today, but the DELL Inspiron I purchased about three months ago doesn't come with a Break key. That means I can't interrupt DOS batch files.
It means too that I can't manually interrupt Word VBA programs that are processing almost 50GB of MP3 files.
Nothing beats me!
I use INI files and test the INI file to see if the program should stop; it is an arm's length implementation of a Ctrl-Break key, but writing VBA code to sample an INI file because I was too stupid to notice that there was no "break" key in the fine print on the keyboard ...
I'm not going to diatribe against GPT partitions on a 500GB drive, touch-screen technology, and Windows 8 on a laptop. Please see "Consumers" below.

I searched the web and got 8,388,607 hits that discussed this problem; the general thrust was that keyboad mappers handled two-byte codes, and Ctrl-Break was a three-byte code.
But really, in 30 years of PCs I've never even thought about not having a Ctrl-Break option. And it has to be at least a quarter-century since mapping the keyboard seemed important ("CED" anyone?)

This lunchtime I thought that at least I'd do a quick statistical survey, so back to Best Buy and scanned the laptops on display, about thirty of them lined up on glass display cases.
Roughly 50% don't have a Break key; of the 50% that do, half of them implement it in orange, that is, it is Fn-Ctrl-Break for them.

Noman, long may he be on hand at Best Buy, confirmed my findings.
"Developers are a dying breed". He shook my hand in awe when I told him I wrote in MSWord VBA (little does he know how atrocious can be my code)
And he confirmed that, of course, Best Buy is a consumer store. Noone writes programs any more; at least, not the kind of person Best Buy wants to see in their stores. I did not take that as an insult.

Here's why Noman is good: he suggested I :doh: purchase a keyboard for $30.

Now why didn't I think of that?
I was plucking up courage to blow another $400 on a laptop to replace this one, which replaced the one I loved that seemed to be overheating a bit too much ...
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 26 Nov 2013, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Idiots like me are a dying breed (Ctrl-Break_

Post by Rudi »

My work PC is a laptop that I use at work and then take home in the evening. At work I plug in the VGA cable for an extended screen and I plug in my mouse and a keyboard. Then I'm happy as I tap away faster on a soft touch KB than my laptop KB (even though my Lenovo Thinkpad has the Fn+Pause(Break) button. Of course the extra real-estate with the extended monitor is wonderful for working between apps or app and VBA editor.

When I get home my laptop is on my "lap" and the built in KB has to do....it actually forces me to "quit" working and use it more for socializing here in the lounge :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rudi wrote:At work I plug in the VGA cable for an extended screen and I plug in my mouse and a keyboard....
Hi Rudi; this sounds like the set up I used to have with one monitor, one mouse, one keyboard, switched between two machines with a KMV(?) switch, as in Keyboard/Mouse/Video? device.

Question: If the keyboard I buy has a "break" on a key, then the keyboard will issue the appropriate signal down the wire, and the system (Win7) will recognise it, right? And I'll be able to interrupt my VBA loops again; so necessary in a clumsy programmer like me.

I can be such a twit when in a store; I'm a-scared of handing over another $30 (on top of the $400 three months ago) and finding that that wasn't a solution, either.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Chris,

With my keyboard plugged in I CAN successfully break code execution with CTRL+Break from the USB based keyboard. I doubt it would make a difference but remember that my laptop also has a Fn+Break button. Maybe someone should verify if an external keyboard interrupts code execution if their laptop does NOT have an Fn+Break key. I don't want to be the reason you blow off $30!
Regards,
Rudi

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BTW:
What happens if you double tap on the ESC key?
On laptops, apparently, you can break code execution with a double tap on Escape too. (So I've heard?)
Regards,
Rudi

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Idiots like me are a dying breed (Ctrl-Break)

Post by John Gray »

The execution of BATch files can be interrupted using Ctrl+C as well as Ctrl+Break. In fact I only ever use Ctrl+C...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Idiots like me are a dying breed (Ctrl-Break)

Post by Rudi »

John Gray wrote:The execution of BATch files can be interrupted using Ctrl+C as well as Ctrl+Break. In fact I only ever use Ctrl+C...
That advice is worth $30 :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi