November Update Pulled?

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

November Update Pulled?

Post by Rebel »

According to several sources, Microsoft has apparently pulled the November Update from Windows Update. The Media Creation Tool is also unavailable. There is no word from Microsoft as to why, but as of today (November 21), neither are available. Interesting.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

HansV
Administrator

Re: November Update Pulled?

Post by HansV »

It certainly looks like it! Weird...
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I guess there were too many problems with the update:
- For many users, the update stalled at some point.
- File associations for many file types were reset to Microsoft apps (and keep on being reset again and again).
- Non-Microsoft software was arbitrarily removed for some users.
- Bloatware that had been removed from the original version was reinstalled.
- For many users, the new "improved" activation method didn't work at all.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

I know that I certainly encountered problems. Both a notebook and an older netbook updated flawlessly (apart from the removal of some software and the re-installation of others). But I have tried several times now to apply the update to my main machine with no success. I have tried three times now, and three times the install gets about half way through and then restores the previous (original) Windows 10 installation. I've followed several of the proposed "solutions" (clean boot before trying the update, disabling the built in USB card readers, disconnecting from the internet, running the setup from the ISO) to no avail.

I'm at a loss now, so I guess I'll simply wait and see if MS provides a new update that works (at least on this particular Dell machine).
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

According to several sources, Microsoft has apparently pulled the November Update from Windows Update.
Very interesting. I used the link on this page to upgrade to the new build on 11/19 (I had downloaded the file on 11/18) and have encountered no issues as of now. I guess I was lucky!

The links at the bottom are still active but there is a note stating
These downloads cannot be used to update Windows 10 PCs to the November update (Version 1511).
Carol W.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Media Creation Tool now provides the original build (10240) again instead of the 1511 update.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

So that explains why I was offered the 1511 update yesterday but couldn't find it when I tried to install it today. I'm relieved that I wasn't having a senior's moment!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Carol W. wrote:
Very interesting. I used the link on this page to upgrade to the new build on 11/19 (I had downloaded the file on 11/18) and have encountered no issues as of now. I guess I was lucky!
I also had problems updating to 1511 build 10586.11, and like you, finally succeeded at the same time frame. I had shared the link to the Update Now page and observed earlier today (in this post) that the link is no longer valid.
Regards,
Bob

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

BobArch2,

Thanks for pointing that out. Your original post was in the other thread (when it wasn't quite certain what was going on).

Now we know!
Carol W.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Apparently, the 1511 update has not been pulled. It is no longer available through the Media Creation Tool, but it will still be rolled out via Windows Update:
The November update was originally available via the MCT (Media Creation Tool), but the company decided that future installs should be through Windows Update. People can still download Windows 10 [Build 10240] using the MCT tool if they wish. The November update will be delivered via Windows Update.

Microsoft has not pulled the Windows 10 November 10 update. The company is rolling out the November update over time – if you don’t see it in Windows Update, you will see it soon.
Source:
ZDNet - Ed Bott
Microsoft explains disappearance of the Windows 10 November Update from Media tool
Best wishes,
Hans

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

HansV wrote:Apparently, the 1511 update has not been pulled. It is no longer available through the Media Creation Tool, but it will still be rolled out via Windows Update:

Source:
ZDNet - Ed Bott
Microsoft explains disappearance of the Windows 10 November Update from Media tool
There is a link at the bottom of Bott's message that points to the 10586 MCT. I downloaded it this afternoon.

Bott warns that he is not too sure how long MS will have the link active.
Regards,
Bob

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks!
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Woody's take on this turn of events is here:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/300741 ... -page.html

I knew there was a good reason why I've not even considered upgrading to Win 10 yet. My initial plan was to wait until around June next year but I've seen nothing in the first few months of Win 10 to reassure me that the ride then will be anything other than the roller coaster it's been so far. Linux anyone? :evilgrin:

Ken
Last edited by HansV on 24 Nov 2015, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: utl > url

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

This is all part of Microsoft's new User Experience paradigm based on 50 Shades of Gray.

This is especially apparent in the Office 2015 update to Office 365 Enterprise where not only has the color scheme been grayed out, but the user interface is very painful! :groan:

Not sure what Microsoft thought it would be so much fun for a user to touch type a sentence then look to the screen and watch what was just typed appear one letter at a time over the next 10 to 15 seconds.... The focus groups must have laughed uproariously, so Microsoft made sure that was one of it's key design points for new releases! :hairout:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Do you mean the typing animation? You can turn it off by creating a registry value:
- Press Windows key+R.
- Enter regedit in the box and press Enter or click OK.
- If you get a User Account Control (UAC) prompt, click Yes.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common (16.0 is Office 2016; use 15.0 for Office 2013).
- Create a new key and change its name to Graphics.
- Within this key, create a new DWORD value, name it DisableAnimations (without a space) and set its value to 1.
animation_regedit.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Hans,

Thanks for the suggestion. Anything would be a help!

Unfortunately that key doesn't exist, nor the Graphics branch under ...\15.0\Common.

Extracted the entire Office branch to a .reg file (over 47 thousands lines!), but the search for "Animation" found 0 occurrences.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

They don't exist yet, you have to CREATE them:
- Within this key, create a new DWORD value, name it DisableAnimations (without a space) and set its value to 1.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:They don't exist yet, you have to CREATE them:
I'm sure PJ had fun poring over 47k + of code lines before your reminder !
:groan: :laugh:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans