Can't Repair/Configure Office 2010 Pro SP1

sobershea
2StarLounger

Can't Repair/Configure Office 2010 Pro SP1

Post by sobershea »

I am getting a warning from Secunia PSI on my desktop, suggesting that Excel and Visio are not updated with the recent security updates. I checked Windows Update and I have installed all updates. I compared excel.exe versions on my desktop with my laptop which also has had all updates. Excel is version 14.0.6117.5003 on the laptop but version 14.0.6112.5000 on the desktop. I told Secunia that I was up to date and they suggested I download the file and update manually. The link they sent was http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... =kb2597166. I downloaded the 32-bit version and tried to install it but I'm getting An error occurred while running detection. I also tried the 64-bit version with the same results. I tried to repair Office through Programs and Features and I got an error message that Office configuration did not complete successfully. Then I tried the same using the CD and got the same message. I'm wondering why I can't tweak Office and if I should uninstall/reinstall. BTW, when I initially installed Office on this new PC I had to call a number on the screen because it said I had activated it too many times. I called the number and all was well. Could this have anything to do with why I can't tweak Office? Any suggestions on next steps?

TIA
Sherry

HansV
Administrator

Re: Can't Repair/Configure Office 2010 Pro SP1

Post by HansV »

I'd use Windows Update to check for updates to Windows and Office. Secunia PSI is good for third-party utilities, but I see no reason to use it for Windows and Office.

If a repair installation fails, it might be a good idea to uninstall Office 2010 completely and reinstall it. You'll lose some or all of your preferences, though...
Best wishes,
Hans

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

HansV wrote:I'd use Windows Update to check for updates to Windows and Office. Secunia PSI is good for third-party utilities, but I see no reason to use it for Windows and Office.
I agree, however I was curios when it reported on an Office product since I do keep it up to date through Windows Update.
HansV wrote:If a repair installation fails, it might be a good idea to uninstall Office 2010 completely and reinstall it. You'll lose some or all of your preferences, though...
I'm thinking I do need to uninstall/reinstall and I'm not worried about losing settings since I back up those configuration files. What concerns me is that I tried to use Program and Features to Repair Office and it fails. It also fails if I try to uninstall. I tried Microsoft's Mr. Fixit and it doesn't list Office specifically, and when you select other it ask for a valid 32 character Product Code. My Product Code is 25 characters!? I used a Product Code finder and it didn't find a Product Code for Office.

Do you think the confusion could be caused by the fact that when I installed Office on this PC I had to contact Microsoft because it had been activated too many times? When you contact them they give you a 48-character installation ID. It installed fine but that's the only thing I can think of as to why Office is being flaky. Well, Office works OK, I just can't tweak it.

And how would you uninstall it? Revo?
Sherry

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you can't repair or uninstall Office from the Programs and Features control panel, you might give Revo Uninstaller a try.

I don't know what a 32-character key would be either, my Office key is 25 characters, like yours...
Best wishes,
Hans

sobershea
2StarLounger

Post by sobershea »

I managed to "fix" it by using Mr. Fixit and uninstalling Office. I then reinstalled and Windows Update installed it's updates and now Excel reports the correct version. All is well.

Thanks much.
Sherry

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Good to hear that! Thanks for the feedback.
Best wishes,
Hans