Another Question about Unpowered USB Hubs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Another Question about Unpowered USB Hubs

Post by BobH »

After reading John G's post about USB hubs, I was reminded that I have a question about them that I've been meaning to ask; but I didn't want to hijack his thread.

My question is about heat generated by using an unpowered USB, or for that matter one using external power. I have an HP laptop about 5 years old. It has only 2 USB ports and no internal wifi card. I also had to disconnect the touch mouse pad and use a wireless mouse. Both of my USB ports would be in use preventing use of a thumb drive or connecting a camera or other USB connections. To overcome this limit, I bought a USB hub dongle. It generates enough heat that it is uncomfortable for it to rest on the skin.

Is it normal for a USB hub to generate so much heat? Should I replace it? It generates more heat per square area than the battery does.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Another Question about Unpowered USB Hubs

Post by John Gray »

Since a USB 2 port is restricted to using a maximum of 0.5A at 5V, and this draw is by the USB device itself it would worry me if an unpowered USB hub was producing any heat at all!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...