Carbon Neutral - how is it achieved?

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Carbon Neutral - how is it achieved?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Untitled.png
So I ordered four American Chestnut trees, shipped yesterday, arriving via Canada Post.
The idea is to introduce chestnuts to the Bonavista Peninsula, since most folks here have never eaten roasted chestnuts. Paris it ain't.
(People do buy them in cans down at the supermarket, but then they toss away the cans which means I don't get to use them for my apple tree seedlings, but that's another pet Grievance of mine)

What I want to know is - Does Canada Post take four six-foot trees into account when it is evaluating carbon-neutrality? :scratch:

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Carbon Neutral - how is it achieved?

Post by HansV »

It's carbon-neutral since it's a shipment of trees - trees capture carbon dioxide.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
12 Apr 2023, 10:42
It's carbon-neutral since it's a shipment of trees - trees capture carbon dioxide.
True. True.
But that must mean that they will suck the CO2 that's in the box, and the box will collapse due to outside air-pressure and crush the stems and roots!
To those who would protest that fresh(?) CO2 will seep in from outside the box, then I should be paid for carbon credits from Canada Post in Dieppe, for that is where all parcels sit for a minimum of six days before being delivered. People are making small fortunes out of carbon credits. Why not me?

And for anyone who reads the article note that "That would say, you know, possibly what the reason is that it's being delayed in transportation due to a storm or being delayed in transportation due to a ferry interruption"(1)

That is, the millions of dollars to be spent on upgrades won't actually speed up the parcel; it will just apportion blame to the weather, whereas the real problem is that Canada Post is too cheap to spend $1,000 on two new laptops, one at North Sydney and one at Port Aux Basque.

The spokesman's name is "Blizzard "
Coincidence?

Cheers, Chris
(1) To the best of my knowledge, storms cause 99% of ferry interruptions, so this is just a pollie spewing out extra words to make it sound that he is pushing lots of useful data. See the Canada Post Alerts page.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Down at the bottom right corner of my first image is a Small Pale Blue Dot atop a small pale blue letter "i".
Untitled.png
Clicking on the little blue brings up a window that says that Canada Post BUYS carbon credits (why not from me?), so I can answer my next question myself.
"Where do they get the money to spend on carbon credits?"
That's right: from the Bank Of Montreal to whom I give data by using my credit card.
So not only am I NOT getting paid for ordering and planting trees, but part of the eight-day delivery costs goes towards someone ELSE for being good.
This could get quite annoying. :burnup:
Chris
P.S. 1,447 Km for eight days works out to 7.8 Km/hr, so some poor sod is probably walking here as we speak ... C. :snow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's quite fast for Ents!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 10:01
That's quite fast for Ents!
I wouldn't know.
I've never seen an Ent, unless it is a Gent without a gee-gee?
i.e. a pedestrian.
Cheers, Chris :snow: