Word2003 ~*.tmp

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Word2003 ~*.tmp

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I have a little macro that saves my Microsoft Word document (under edit) every so-many minutes. I notice that this spawns a collection of ~*.tmp files which Microsoft Word often clears up after the document is closed. I have discovered that if I capture and rename one of these files to be a *.doc it makes a perfectly good backup copy.

Can anyone come up with a good reason not to employ the ~*.tmp as archive copies?
That is, have any of you ever found that such a file does NOT represent a good snapshot of the document being edited?

I note that my macro is making a complete copy of the file, and as such differs from the Tools, Options, Save, Save Autorecover files that Microsoft Word sprinkles about.
By definition, educating the client is the consultant’s first objective

HansV
Administrator

Re: Word2003 ~*.tmp

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Word2003 ~*.tmp

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Thanks Hans.
I got as far as "A temporary file is a file that is created to temporarily store information in order to free memory for other purposes" and started wondering what happened to virtual memory, swap files and the like, so I have d/l the page and will study it in detail at home once the Biscotti is baked and the cuppa tea is to hand.
Thanks again.

But my original query still holds:
Has any one on Eileen's Lounge tried using one of these files as a DOCument and found that it has a defect or deficit?
By definition, educating the client is the consultant’s first objective