NAS Drive

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

NAS Drive

Post by E_OGRADY »

I have purchased a limited NAS drive Medion 1TB, it is installed and is seen on my Netgear Genie map and by ping, there is backup software but I only want to use it for storage.
I have set up user accounts.
What I cannot do is see the drive on Explorer or Salamander, (my preferred) file manager.
Can this drive be set to behave as a simple drive that can be seen on the file managers?
If so, what setting am I missing?
I do not want to use the backup software as I use Acronis on all computers and if I backup to this drive it has not enough capacity.

E_OGRADY
2StarLounger

Re: NAS Drive

Post by E_OGRADY »

I think I have found the solution, I had not mapped the drive and assigned it a drive letter, that completed I then had problems with the Error: (5) Access is denied, I then solved or overrode this by turning off "Simply file sharing"

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for sharing the solution; it may help others in the future.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

NAS devices - the file timestamp problem.doc
Most of these NASes expose a single share to which you have to connect, as you have done.

Usually a Linux program called Samba runs on the NAS to simulate the NTFS file system to a Windows client (but with an important difference, that the time granularity for file dates/times is 2 seconds, like FAT. This can occasionally be a pain).

[boring 15 page account of the matter from 2009 attached, in case anyone is the slightest interested!]
NAS devices - the file timestamp problem.doc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Gray

If you are having problems with solitude, you are not alone.