file permissions

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

file permissions

Post by Skitterbug »

Not sure where to post but since I have Windows 11, I'll put it here.

I received help from Chris (name has been changed to protect the innocent) regarding a .bat file to prepare for opening and running a backup of my C and D drive. (note - I do have backups made but have been hunting for a more simple way to start the process).

So I copied and saved the info I received for the start of this .BAT file, as a text file first and then named changed it into a .BAT file. So far so good. I then created a shortcut to run on the desktop. Each time that I clicked on it, I received a Windows Defender SmartScreen warning. I got tired of that quickly and searched the Internet for a way to disable it for just that .BAT file. I didn’t find anything useful. One website instruction pointed to settings\apps\advanced apps setting\ and to change that setting to “anywhere”. That didn’t stop the notice from popping up when I clicked the .BAT shortcut. I think that is more for security in loading program apps from other sources other than Microsoft.

So then I decided to go into properties of the .BAT file (not the shortcut) and change the security choices. I allowed Administrators and System to have Full control. Authenticated Users are allowed to Modify and Users can Read and execute. And that stopped the warning message.

So now I’m wondering - are all .BAT files on the computer now being governed by these permissions? Or just the one that I created? And, if necessary, what should I change to go back to the original settings? As you probably just surmised – I didn’t make any notes about what I was doing and that is totally out of character. (huge sigh)

And hindsight – I shouldn’t have messed about without asking for help first……. Especially since I feel like I am a beginner all over again using MS Windows system.

Many thanks and appreciation for any help or thoughts.
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.