Windows 11 Laptop Battery Saving

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows 11 Laptop Battery Saving

Post by hlewton »

In reading an article about saving battery power on a Windows 11 Laptop, this diagram is shown saying to
Work with the Systray Icon.
According to the article, this is what it is supposed to look like when pointing to the Battery Icon in the Systray.
Systray1.jpg
I have nothing even close to that when I point to the battery in Systray Icon. Actually when I do, it highlights 3 Icons at the same time, the Internet, the Sound, and the Battery Icon, as can be seen here.
Systray.jpg
I can Right click the battery Icon and go to the Power and sleep settings, but nothing like is seen in the first attachment. Is there any reason anyone knows of why I am, first seeing 3 Icons highlighted at the same time, and why I am not able to see what is shown in the first attachment?

The article did not define the computer any further than saying it was a Windows 11 laptop. Mine is a Windows 11 Pro laptop and I have no idea if that would be causing what I am seeing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 11 Laptop Battery Saving

Post by HansV »

What happens when you left-click the highlighted section?
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I have Win 11 Pro on a Lenovo laptop. Like you when hover over the battery icon in the Sys Tray three icons are highlighted, the network connection, the sound, and the battery. When I left click on any of the three icons I get the pop-up in the first pic.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 16:45
What happens when you left-click the highlighted section?
stuck wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 18:10
I have Win 11 Pro on a Lenovo laptop. Like you when hover over the battery icon in the Sys Tray three icons are highlighted, the network connection, the sound, and the battery. When I left click on any of the three icons I get the pop-up in the first pic.

Ken
I never thought to Left click. I get the same thing as seen in the picture when I left click. Thank you both.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I used to get that when I left click, but nothing happens today. I will try again after a reboot.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 19:33
I used to get that when I left click, but nothing happens today. I will try again after a reboot.
Here is what started all this for me:
Work with the System Tray icon
To view your current battery status, hover over the battery icon in the Windows 11 System Tray. You should see both the percentage and the number of hours and minutes remaining on the current charge. Here, there are a couple of things you can do to preserve the charge. Click the battery icon to display the pop-up menu. Move the slider on the brightness level to the left, to lower the brightness and thereby chew up less of a charge. The trick here is to reduce the brightness enough to make a difference, but not so much that you have trouble seeing the screen.

Alternatively, click the Battery saver icon to activate Battery saver mode. This automatically lowers the brightness to a specific level, disables certain background tasks, and takes other actions to preserve the charge.
Hover and Left click are different, at least to me, and that is why I hadn't thought of it.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The text literally includes "Click the battery icon to display the pop-up menu."...
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 21:23
The text literally includes "Click the battery icon to display the pop-up menu."...
AH, I missed that.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

StuartR wrote:
15 Apr 2024, 19:33
What a surprise, a reboot fixed this and my laptop now displays the expected dialog when I left click this area
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:thumbup: :joy:
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 14:33

What a surprise, a reboot fixed this.
A reboot fixed a problem I had this morning also. I love it when things work like that.
Regards,
hlewton