Is It Possible to Remove MS Edge from Windows?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Is It Possible to Remove MS Edge from Windows?

Post by BobH »

In trying to get rid of a window while using Firefox, I looked at Task Manager and saw some things running that I don't want or need, most glaring of which was Microsoft Edge. I don't use Edge; I don't want to use Edge; I don't think I will EVER want to use Edge unless all other browsers disappear. (I felt the same way about IE and it appears to finally be dying the death it has so well deserved for so long.)

In Task Manager, I selected an instance of Microsoft Edge and tried to remove it by clicking End Task. I got the error message in the screenshot below. Must I allow it to run taking up whatever resources it consumes? If not, how do I get rid of it?
Edge.PNG
FWIW, I got the same message when I tried to end the CCleaner task. Is it possible that this is a Task Manager bug?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Is It Possible to Remove MS Edge from Windows?

Post by HansV »

You cannot uninstall Edge the normal way, and if there are advanced tricks to do it, I would strongly recommend against it - it might destabilize Windows.

See Microsoft Edge Browser
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

OK. I get it; it can't be removed, but is there some way to prevent its running?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We've been through all this before...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

My apologies, Hans. My short term memory is failing rapidly, I fear.

Despite having forgot the recent posts about MS Edge, I still want to stop it running in the background as I am using a very old laptop whose resources don't do well with loads. I went to the page Ken recommended and found this:
How to disable Microsoft Edge from running in the background

If you decide you prefer not to have Microsoft Edge running in the background, disabling it is easy with these steps:

1. Open Microsoft Edge and navigate to the ellipses (…) to open Settings and more.
2. Select Settings > Systems and performance.
3. Scroll to Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed to toggle it off.
Now, when the browser is closed, it won’t be running in the background.
When I tried to follow those instructions, I was able to find the ellipsis (at the upper right) but the menu offered didn't include Systems and performance under Settings. I looked as carefully as I know how and could not find it. I even put the term into the settings search bar and got a response saying there is no such option.

If anyone knows how to work through this cryptic MS maze, I would appreciate being told how to do it.

I looked yet again and found the Systems and performance options. In case someone else sees this, they are found by first clicking on the ellipsis then choosing Settings from the drop down menu then clicking the 'hamburger' menu offered on the Settings page. The Systems and performance settings can then be seen.

The odd thing is that all the options are turned off on my system; yet MS Edge persists in running in the background.
MSEdge.PNG
Task Manager screenshot
MSedgetoo.PNG
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That's strange - Edge shouldn't be running unless you or another application started it...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Based on you post, Hans, I looked at Task Manager again. MS Edge was running, but I was able to end the task successfully without error. Before I received a message saying the task could not be stopped, which is what triggered my post.

Thanks for the help. And, for your patience. :chocciebar: :wine:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

Also check Task Manager Startup Apps. If Edge is included in this list, right click and select "disable".
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

After the March 12, 2024 cumulative update to Windows 11, it became possible to uninstall Microsoft Edge on my desktop PC - it is now an option in the context-menu of Microsoft Edge in Start > All. Strangely enough, the Uninstall option is not available on my laptop with the same build of Windows 11...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I still have an update to Windows 10 (not 11) pending. I'll check to see if I can delete MS Edge after that update.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Update: the option to uninstall Edge will only be available in the European Union (for the moment, at least).
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Must be a legal issue. Maybe the US will catch up. FWIW my windows upgrade changed nothing to do with ms edge.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)