Windows Resizing

BobH
UraniumLounger

Windows Resizing

Post by BobH »

While using some apps, the window resizing icon doesn't seem to work. The displayed window is full-sized regardless of which icon I select. At the moment, it's happening with Firefox and Thunderbird but I think I've experienced it with other apps too. I cannot 'grab' an edge and pull it to make it smaller.

Any suggestions?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Re: Windows Resizing

Post by Jay Freedman »

Sometimes, when you click the icon to change from maximized to restored, the window remains at the size of the maximized window -- all that apparently happens is that the icon changes. You can't get the cursor to go partly off-screen to get the sizing cursor, so it looks like you're stuck at maximized.

When that happens, use the cursor to single-click-and-hold the window's title bar and drag it down and to the right a little bit. Then you can grab the top or side or the top-left corner, and drag toward the center of the window some more. Eventually you'll get it down to the size at which it all fits comfortably on the screen with space around it.

An alternative, once the window is restored but too big, is to press Alt+spacebar. In most Windows programs, that opens a small menu in the top left corner, in which one of the choices is Size. That choice activates the sizing cursor, which may let you grab a side even when it's at the edge of the screen.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Windows Resizing

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Jay!

Both of those solutions worked quite well. :cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs