Win 10 ver. 22H2 Desktop Screen Size Problem

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Win 10 ver. 22H2 Desktop Screen Size Problem

Post by hlewton »

On a Windows 10 computer my desktop screen shrank to about 3/4s of its original size. It shrank from the top down and from the right side to the left. In other words, it had a large black border on the top and right side of the screen. My desktop shortcuts were all over the place and I couldn’t easily locate what I wanted so, I tried to restart it. The Start button was not active either so I powered it off with the ON/OFF button.

When it rebooted, all was well. I do not know what the desktop looked like when it was turned on for the first time because I have the monitor on a switch that allows me to run two computers from the same HDMI connection on one monitor, I assume it was as described. I found this problem when I was shutting this computer off.

This was on the second Tuesday when Microsoft does its updates. I checked and it did not install the updates, but they were listed and ready to install so I assume the problem stopped the updates from being installed. Has anyone even heard of this and if so, what can be done to correct the problem?

By-the-way, I have rebooted it 3 times since discovering the problem and it has booted up correctly every time.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Win 10 ver. 22H2 Desktop Screen Size Problem

Post by JoeP »

It appears that the video RAM was corrupted. It could have been a glitch with the switch. Did you try switching the displays back and forth before shutting down the offending PC?

Since it has booted correctly multiple times I would not worry about it.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Win 10 ver. 22H2 Desktop Screen Size Problem

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
10 Jan 2024, 16:51
It appears that the video RAM was corrupted. It could have been a glitch with the switch. Did you try switching the displays back and forth before shutting down the offending PC?

Since it has booted correctly multiple times I would not worry about it.
No, I never gave that a thought. If it ever happens again, I will try that. Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton