Can One Clear the Entries Retained by Windows?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Can One Clear the Entries Retained by Windows?

Post by BobH »

I feel I should know the answer to this but do not.

Windows often suggests data for some that I can select and press enter to have used by the app. My typing is such that this stored data is often garbage.

Is there some way to delete all the saved data?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Can One Clear the Entries Retained by Windows?

Post by stuck »

Which Windows feature is it that is suggesting data? Are you sure it's not an application that is remembering your entries?

For example, Firefox will remember my search history but I can clear that by RIGHT clicking in the search box and choosing 'clear search history'. FF also often remembers entries I've made on on-line forms. I can clear those using Ccleaner, by ticking the box to 'clear saved form information'. You can also clear FF form data via 'clear history' in 'settings'.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I don't know the answer to that, Ken. I thought Windows was retaining the information and the apps were getting it from Windows. For example, I read a blog that allows comments. The blog is done in WordPress. I read it in Firefox. Comments require me to enter my name and email address which WordPress then validates. The name and email are prefilled with name and email data that I've never used to comment on that blog page. Hovering over the entry boxes shows lists of names and email addresses that I've never used to comment on that blog. That's why I presumed the information was coming from Windows. I have Firefox set - I think - to clear everything when I close it.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
03 Oct 2023, 02:13
...The name and email are prefilled with name and email data that I've never used to comment on that blog page...
But have you entered that data on another webpage, e.g. when you have bought something online?

Try this:
1) Open Firefox and go to:
    about:preferences#privacy
2) Scroll down to the heading 'History'
3) Click on the 'Clear History' button
4) You will get a dialog that looks like this:
Clipboard01.jpg
5) Ensure the three boxes I've highlighted in red are ticked
6) Click the 'Clear Now' button

Then go to the blog page that is offering you bad data, has that bad data gone?

Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.