A little guidance on removing a Junction Link

kdock
5StarLounger

A little guidance on removing a Junction Link

Post by kdock »

At the end of 2016, I got a terrific Samsung laptop with Windows 10 Home that I promptly upgraded to Pro.

I created my local User account with one letter - K - and after a while realized it was causing my new laptop a little trouble because it was too short. I suspect Microsoft expects User names to be 5 characters or more, and even though they let me create one, it caused some issues. I don't remember what they were now.

So I Googled and found I could create a Junction Link to a folder named "kmurdock" in the Users folder. This was NOT created as another, separate account. Suddenly, the things I stumbled over stopped tripping me.

Fast forward to now when apparently something has changed and now it's a problem again. I have three global Word templates, one of which has a wide ribbon tab of its own, and its icons now appear twice within the same tab. It befuddled me for a while until I realized it was looking in the AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP folder of both of these entities, since the junction link copies from the K folder to the kmurdock folder. Word is looking at both folders and loading both sets of templates. I can't say exactly when this started, but I think within the last six months.

So I'm contemplating removing the Junction Link. I am also contemplating what problems might arise. I may get all those 1-letter username problems back. Or I might louse up my User profile. Or...

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or any advice? I've found a bunch online that has a bunch of info holes and contradictions. Any input will be gratefully received.

Thanks, Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.