Wireless Security Settings

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
RonH
SilverLounger

Wireless Security Settings

Post by RonH »

You will see under another thread http://www.eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9530 that I have just reinstalled my router :clapping:

However on further investigation I find that I am using TKIP with WPA but, reading other threads, I see that AES is the more secure method. (TKIP was what I set the first Vista up on some years back and I simply continued with this setting.)
But how do I change to AES? I can see 'how to' on the router but ain't got a clue how to set AES on the two pc's (if I need to?) ... one is running Vista and the other Windows7. I also use an internet radio (which is why I am stuck with WPA and not WPA2) ... do I need to do anything on a radio?

Would appreciate guidance :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Wireless Security Settings

Post by StuartR »

On Windows 7 or Windows Vista
  • Open the Network and Sharing center
  • Manage wireless networks
  • Double click the network you want to change
  • Select the security tab
  • Change the setting to the security mode you want
AES.jpg
For your Internet radio you will have to refer to it's user guide. There is no general standard for the user interface on these things.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Stuart.

You won't believe this .... The Google pop-ups I was getting before I completely restarted router (from manufacturers original setting) has now developed into another 'pop-up'. Again, it seems as if quite some folks are also getting this one:

http://i4.ytimg.com

From what I have read briefly, this is somehow associated with YouTube which is where I was heading when it popped up. I am confident (?)that the problem is not on either of my pc's but somehow associating with the router ... I wonder if this is in fact a problem at the ISP? I will contact them next week and post if I have any news to report.
Ron
Last edited by HansV on 21 Apr 2012, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to make URL clickable
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just to report ... I changed pc's/router to AES. Very easy to do BUT then my internet radio would not function ... it does not support AES :groan:
So back to TKIP until I can afford a new radio.

At least thanks to you Stuart, I now no how to make this change.
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.