Question Before Posting About A Roku

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Question Before Posting About A Roku

Post by hlewton »

Please see the attachment. I am taking this literally about the Home Entertainment in this particular forum. Does this mean I can ask about wiring and using my TV even though it has nothing to do with a computer?
Home.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hlewton on 15 Jan 2024, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Question Before Posting

Post by BobH »

Not a moderator, but I don't see why not.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Question Before Posting About A Roku

Post by hlewton »

To be brief, instead of plugging a Roku device directly into an HDMI port on the back of a TV, can I plug it into an extension HDMI cable that is connected to an HDMI switch, which in turn is connected to the HDMI port on the TV? I believe this would work but will this type of connection affect the Roku's signal?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I edited the title of this thread so, if needed, I can easily find it in the future.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Go ahead, ask away!
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Why not try it and see?

Here's Roku's Help link in case you have problems.

I use FireTV devices; so I can't provide any current info about Roku experience as I've not used a Roku device in nigh on to 10 years or maybe more.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 20:26
Why not try it and see?

Here's Roku's Help link in case you have problems.

I use FireTV devices; so I can't provide any current info about Roku experience as I've not used a Roku device in nigh on to 10 years or maybe more.
Well Hans it a long story but the bottom line is I do not want to spend the amount it would take if it was only going to be wasted. In a nutshell, I have a smart TV but Paramount + does not work on it. Paramount + knows they have a problem and for the last 2 months they have been asking me to be patient but they still have done nothing. All my other streaming apps like Netflix, Prime, Disney+, ESPN+, Max, and Peacock all stream fine.

Because of the way my TV is setup with surround sound and so I don't have to pay the TV guy again to get all my devices working through the surround amp, I want to use a switch on the HDMI input my Blu-Ray is hooked to. Not sure that is advisable so wanted opinions before spending the money. Thanks for the link.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I just heard from the fellow I buy my TV and other equipment from. He thinks my plan is a good one so I am going to order all I need to try this solution to my Paramount + problem.
Regards,
hlewton

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

When we tried a trial paramount + subscription we did it through the Prime app. Have you tried this?

Disclaimer: I have no idea if you'd need a separate subscription or not, and I am in the UK.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

jonwallace wrote:
15 Jan 2024, 23:57
When we tried a trial paramount + subscription we did it through the Prime app. Have you tried this?

Disclaimer: I have no idea if you'd need a separate subscription or not, and I am in the UK.
I have been a Paramount + subscriber for a few years. I never had this problem before. It has to be some update Paramount made. They acknowledge they have a problem with more than just me. I got another email from them yesterday saying this problem has escalated to their senior technical support team and they will keep me posted. After 2 months I gave up hearing this from them and installed that Roku I mentioned above. I can once again watch Paramount+ on the TV I want to.
Regards,
hlewton