Internet Speeds

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

Internet Speeds

Post by BobH »

I hope I'm in the right forum; I seem to have a penchant for choosing the wrong one when I'm in doubt.

What actual download and upload speeds are you folks getting from your ISPs? By actual, I mean as reported by an independent testing tool such as Ookla (presuming this is available outside the US as well as inside). If you have another speed test app to recommend, I'm all ears.

[rant on]I'm trying to choose a new ISP because my current provider, Astound Communications (formerly Grande Communications), is providing such lousy service both via their signal speed (less than 40 Gbps download per Ookla) and via their support (their technical support team has been unable to answer questions, even at second level support, much less fix problems with user email changes; their IVR menu is atrocious requiring 3 minutes line hold time before being offered options and providing no means to opt out to speak with a human and limited customer service options; they do at least seem to have native English speakers when you do got through to an agent).

We have limited choices here in central Texas with Astound, Spectrum and AT&T being the only providers. All service is over copper cable; although AT&T is in the process of deploying fiber and even has it within 500 yards of my home (but they do not make it available to me). Providers seem intent on bundling other services which I don't want or need. Internet-only services from all providers seem to be comparably priced at $49.99/month which is really about $65/month after taxes and fees. Choice of provider will come down to service issues.

I've used each of these providers in the past and eventually left each due to poor service due to frequent outages or inability to resolve connectivity issues promptly. I thought I had found a home with the predecessor to Astound (Grande) because they provided reliable service and their email and other functions performed flawlessly including self-help changes. In fact, over several years I never had to call for technical support. Alas, they were acquired by Astound; and things went downhill. Service outages are still infrequent, but their self-help apps fail more than half the time and their support agents have been incapable of solving simple problems after repeated attempts over months, IME. I would consider Earthlink satellite service but for the price and antenna requirements.[rant off]
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Internet Speeds

Post by HansV »

40 Gbps is extremely fast. Don't you mean 40 Mbps?

My contract is for 50 Mbps down / 50 Mbps up, but I usually get higher speeds. I just now tested 70.4 Mbps down / 84.4 Mbps up.
I pay €35.69/month ~ $39.00.
My ISP offers faster speeds (up to 4 Gbps), but what I have now is sufficient for my needs.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I live just outside London. My fibre connection is rated at 1Gbps, and I reliably get speeds of 850 to 900 Mbps both up and down (as measured by speedtest.net)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

I'm the same as you, Hans. 50 Mbps up & down but rarely faster.
Stuart, that's so fast you're going to get the reply before the send is confirmed :clapping: Only envious.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I use Spectrum when I'm in our northern home during the spring and summer. The service is rated at 300 Mbs down and 20 up. I reliably get between 275 and 325 down and almost always a shade over 20 up. This is checking on a wired connection. I have found Spectrum's service to be very reliable. I seldom have to talk to their support but the last time I did they were reasonably helpful. YMMV.

In Florida, we use T-Mobile Home internet service. All connections are wireless. The speed varies quite a bit from about 50 Mb down to 120 Mb down and from 8 Mb up to 15 Mb up. That is significantly better than many of the other providers in various RV/mobile home/manufactured home parks. The reliability has improved over the last year. Still not what I'd really like but it is better. I also installed a Google mesh network to improve the Wi-Fi networking over the T-Mobile router.
Joe

chikara
NewLounger

Post by chikara »

I’m looking for a new ISP in central Texas because Astound is terrible. Their speed is less than 40 Gbps and their support is useless. They also charge too much for internet-only service. Spectrum and AT&T are the only alternatives, but they are not much better. Spectrum has frequent outages and AT&T doesn’t offer fiber in my area. I don’t want any bundles or satellite service. I just want reliable, fast, and affordable internet. Is that too much to ask? What are your experiences with these providers? Do you have any recommendations for a better ISP?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

^^^
I might have written that - down to and including using Gbps instead of Mbps and the location being central Texas - but I didn't.

Since my OP I have dropped Astound and gone to T-Mobile cellular Internet service. While there are a few things I've discovered that I dislike about it, so far it has proved superior to Astound in delivering faster service. It's about $15 month cheaper. Their phone support is no better than Astound's. Their modem/router device can only be addressed using their cell phone app and its functions are far inferior to those provided by Linksys firmware. Speeds vary depending on network load for all cellular services . . . phone, Internet, ???
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs