Transmission speed

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
silverback
5StarLounger

Transmission speed

Post by silverback »

Our house has just been upgraded to full fibre. Running OOKLA speedtest from any of our Android tablets or phones results in 150Mbs download and 100Mbs upload speeds. When I do the same test on my PC running Windows 10, it shows 50Mbs download and 49Mbps upload.
The PC connects to the router using Solwise Homeplugs at the PC and router ends, both connected by Ethernet cables. The Solwise Homeplugs are rated at 200Mbs.
Any ideas as to why the PC speed is so much less that WiFi speed of the Android devices, please?
Thanks,
Silverback

PS : Before the upgrade, the PC recorded 36Mbs, so it has improved, just not by the amount I was hoping for. :scratch:

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Transmission speed

Post by StuartR »

My guess would be that the homeplugs are the cause here. They may be rated at 200Mbs, but that depends on the quality of the connection between them.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I don't know why the speed test in your PC is much less than on your Android devices but the first thing I'd do is cut out the Solwise Homeplugs, i.e. connect the PC directly to the router using an Ethernet cable and then run the speed test again. If the result is more in keeping with what you expected, you've found the cause of the problem.

Ken

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Well, yes, obvs. But can you purchase a 20m ethernet cable? :laugh:
I suppose that, if I get sufficiently irritated by the speed (as stated, it's already faster than I've been used to) I could carry the PC to the router and try it. Stuart R has identified a potential problem which I've already thought of; the PC and the router are on separate electrical circuits so there's probably a log jam somewhere (circuit breaker box?).
Not enough to get het up about. Going to relax and enjoy Christmas now.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Have a Happy Christmas.
Silverback

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

silverback wrote:
24 Dec 2023, 18:14
Well, yes, obvs. But can you purchase a 20m ethernet cable?
Yes, I've got at least two.

Ken
EDITED TO ADD:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-cable ... r=8-5&th=1

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

There is an enormous range of ethernet cables available from BroadBand Buyer (other excellent sources of cabling available).
You could make your own up to any required length from a reel of cable and a couple of plugs!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

At one time I had 25 m of Ethernet cable running from one level of the house to another and from one end of the house to the other. It was a tripping hazard, but only needed briefly.

Instead of Ethernet, it would probably be more practical either to (a) move the router permanently to a location near the PC or (b) install a WiFi card in the PC and forget about Ethernet. If plan (a) requires changing where the cable enters the house, go to plan (b).

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have a 20m Ethernet cable running from the router at my front door to the switch that connects all my computers and printer. It runs in trunking high on the wall and is inconspicuous and harmless.
StuartR