New Solar Charger

Jezza
5StarLounger

New Solar Charger

Post by Jezza »

I am now the proud owner of a solarmonkey & solarnut a set of solar panels and a rechargeable battery which I will use to charge my GPS watch when I am one of my longer runs in May 2011. I was testing it out today and was very pleased with the result but was surprised when it said it could not charge from fluorescent lighting but when I placed it under candescent lighting the charging light switched on.

I am aware of the different colour temperatures of the two types of light but was wondering why the panel wouldn't charge from fluorescent...ideas?
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

JohnH
3StarLounger

Re: New Solar Charger

Post by JohnH »

I don't know the answer other than suggesting it is to do with frquencies - presumably the panels work best with a certain frequency range.

But how do you use it? My Garmin GPS uses AA batteries, and to charge them you need to remove them. Is that what you are doing? or does it charge while the GPS is in use?
My interest is cycling . I am going on a long (i.e. 4 week) ride also in May.
Regards

John

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Jezza wrote:I am now the proud owner of a solarmonkey & solarnut a set of solar panels and a rechargeable battery which I will use to charge my GPS watch when I am one of my longer runs in May 2011. I was testing it out today and was very pleased with the result but was surprised when it said it could not charge from fluorescent lighting but when I placed it under candescent lighting the charging light switched on.

I am aware of the different colour temperatures of the two types of light but was wondering why the panel wouldn't charge from fluorescent...ideas?
Morning Jezza

Reading the site and all of the references to charging in direct sunlight I think that perhaps you are lucky that it charges from a bulb at all. If you look at the FAQ's, it says:-

Q: Can I use my solarmonkey through a glass window or under a light bulb?
A: No, your solarmonkey needs to be outside in bright sunshine.

Editted to add;

Just did a Google and this site seems to have a good debate http://www.instructables.com/answers/Wh ... olar-pane/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with this answer looking the best

"The full solar spectrum extends far beyond what you can see (visible light), including both infrared and ultraviolet. Fluorescent lights are built and tuned to have almost entirely visible-light output (any energy that goes into radiation you can't see is effectively wasted). The energy available to be converted by photovoltaic cells is dependent on the spectrum. Short wavelength, high frequency (violet and UV) photons carry more energy than long wavelengths. Hence, using natural light rather than "bandwidth limited" artificial lighting gives you more convertible energy input. You can see the violet/UV effect experimentally. Get some blacklights (which have a violet/UV spectrum) and turn them on along with your regular fluorescents. You should see higher output from your photovoltaic panels under those conditions"
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

@steveh, thanks Steve we were just having chat around the water cooler at work and that was the general concensus but we were getting lost on the various colour temperatures from the various lights.

@johnh, I will be undertaking a 145 mile foot challenge in May 2011 when we have to run from Birmingham to London along the Grand Union Canal (GUCR)

I will be running/walking/crawling with my training buddy and we will have our Garmin GPS watches, if we switch off all the bells and whistles having only the GPS signal we can about 9-12 hours out of each one, be it the challenge is 45 hours in total we will have limited time to charge using the solarnut to allow us to do a "one on, one off" thing with the watches. We will need to borrow one from our running fraternity.

The system comes with velcro straps which will allow me to attach it to my backpack with the equipment stowed in a side pocket. I will be experimenting over the coming weeks as we willbe travlling ~SE so may have to mount it to the front so that I can benefit from as much sun as possible.

There are two ways to use it, charge the solar nut up and then plug just the nut to trickle charge or both the nut and the monkey in series using the nut as a power regulator, you get a plethora of USB connectors to fit all known models of PDA and phones
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

Jezza wrote:@steveh, thanks Steve we were just having chat around the water cooler at work and that was the general concensus but we were getting lost on the various colour temperatures from the various lights.

@johnh, I will be undertaking a 145 mile foot challenge in May 2011 when we have to run from Birmingham to London along the Grand Union Canal (GUCR)

I will be running/walking/crawling with my training buddy and we will have our Garmin GPS watches, if we switch off all the bells and whistles having only the GPS signal we can about 9-12 hours out of each one, be it the challenge is 45 hours in total we will have limited time to charge using the solarnut to allow us to do a "one on, one off" thing with the watches. We will need to borrow one from our running fraternity.

The system comes with velcro straps which will allow me to attach it to my backpack with the equipment stowed in a side pocket. I will be experimenting over the coming weeks as we willbe travlling ~SE so may have to mount it to the front so that I can benefit from as much sun as possible.

There are two ways to use it, charge the solar nut up and then plug just the nut to trickle charge or both the nut and the monkey in series using the nut as a power regulator, you get a plethora of USB connectors to fit all known models of PDA and phones
Hi Jezza

I think that I probably don't inderstand the 'monkeynuts' part of the deal but they sell them seperately, could you get spares and pre-charge them prior to the run?
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Hi Steve

I do understand them it is just I am unsure how many charges I can get from one powernut, a colleague suggested that she can charge her Ipod twice and her phone once, if that is the case we are laughing as my Garmin will probably be less of an issue. If that is the case then I won't need to take the monkey and save on weight.

It is new to me and it will be a case of just experimenting on the number of charges it can provide and as you say possibly getting another nut as a back up will surfice.
Jerry

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

Jezza wrote:Hi Steve

I do understand them it is just I am unsure how many charges I can get from one powernut, a colleague suggested that she can charge her Ipod twice and her phone once, if that is the case we are laughing as my Garmin will probably be less of an issue. If that is the case then I won't need to take the monkey and save on weight.

It is new to me and it will be a case of just experimenting on the number of charges it can provide and as you say possibly getting another nut as a back up will surfice.
Jerry, you don't need another "nut" for a backup. Just look in the mirror and query the reflection. :innocent: :laugh:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Doc Watson wrote: Jerry, you don't need another "nut" for a backup. Just look in the mirror and query the reflection. :innocent: :laugh:
:razz: :laugh:
Jerry

Post by Guest »

That thing looks pretty cool. Give us an update on how fast it charges and how fast it replenishes the nut. It all sounds and looks good, but the big question is how quickly it charges. I've always wanted to install a solar panel on my home to save on electricity. Even if it just powers a few things in my home, it would be great. I like the monkeynut aspect of it because some solar devices don't have the ability to store the power, only to deliver it.