well I never!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: well I never!

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
24 Apr 2024, 21:27
From that photo one might surmise that the old saw "Birds of a feather flock together" is not true. I see some outliers in there.
Bob, Can you identify them? Not by name, but just circle them in the image.
Pink galahs are very much a closed family. When one of them is wounded, four to six will cluster around that wounded bird on the ground, as if all the Aunts, Uncles, Siblings are offering support.

As well they roost in a single tree, I suspect to the exclusion of all other birds.

There is probably an ornithological term for this, but "closed society" is the closest I can come up with.

This Wikipedia article says in part "Behaviour: The galah is often found in flocks of 10 to 1,000 individuals. These can be mixed flocks, the members of which may include Major Mitchell's cockatoo, the little corella, and the sulphur-crested cockatoo. " but then goes on to say "The galah readily hybridizes with all of these species (see below)"

Cheers, Chris
He who plants a seed, plants life.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

This might be the same or a different species, IDK.
daily10 marked.jpg
Ignore the errant red line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
24 Apr 2024, 22:52
This might be the same or a different species, IDK.daily10 marked.jpg
Untitled.png
top row (in my original image), fourth and fifth from the left.

These two "pink galahs" appear to be grey, but either they are immature birds or, more likely, they are facing away from us ("There's two in every crowd ...") and so we are presented with their backs.
Most of the galahs are facing towards us, presenting their breast feathers.

Of the two, the left shows a bit of pink on the side of the head, the right shows a flash of pink on the breast.
But in my original image those two bits of pink are insignificant.

Does that work for you?
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who plants a seed, plants life.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, I didn't question the birds you pointed out, only the one I circled. It might be plumage in a different state as the individual seems to be of a similar size and conformation.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

There aren't enough pixels to say whether or not the bird Bob circled is the same species as the others but there are enough to be sure it does not have the same colour feathers. The circled bird is white.

Ken