Dress Rehearsal

BobH
UraniumLounger

Dress Rehearsal

Post by BobH »

Intended for all but especially for Graeme . . .

I plan to pull out my huge old Celestron reflector telescope and do a dress rehearsal of following the Sun whilst filming with my iPhone through its viewport. Yes, I'll be sure to use appropriate eyewear.

Any other hints? My old mortar tube does not have an equatorial mount; so tracking is an issue.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Re: Dress Rehearsal

Post by Graeme »

Bob, you've had a big old reflector in the garage collecting dust all along! Is it on a Dobsonian mount or and Alt/Az mount?

Firstly, I can't stress enough that viewing and imaging the sun can be very dangerous!! Using the best equipment to safely view/image the sun is suggested in this article by my good friend Joe.

For your reading pleasure here is a Beginners article and a more Advanced article.

You should probably check that you can fit the Sun and it's corona in your field of view. What is the aperture diameter and the focal length of your Celestron?

I look forward to seeing your work.

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Dress Rehearsal

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Graeme!

Yes, my Celestron is on a Dobsonian mount; and, yes, it has been in the garage but well covered with its custom cover and a supplemental sheet.

I use it only rarely because light pollution is a huge problem where I live. I have to travel about 40 miles one way to get a semblance of dark night skies. That and wrangling the huge old tube are disincentives to its use.

Again, thanks for the response and the information.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs