PlutoniumLounger

Re: Solar Eclipse 2024

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
05 May 2023, 17:03
Anyone else making plans for that day?
Never mind That Day.
I made plans for this day.
Rose, mug of tea, email, news etc. 5c here today so trudged through the snow and hung washing on the line ("The World is my heat engine"), ate breakfast (a mandarin), donned coat (otherwise folks would think I was loony), and at Great Personal Expense(1), then set off along Lake Canon Bayley to the Post Office.
canada-2024-total-solar-eclipse-stamp.jpg
I thought to buy some stamps for my friends on Eileen's Lounge.

"Hello Corinna!" (Ray Petersen has a lot to answer for), "Hi Chris" etc.
I'd like to buy some stamps.
We're all sold out.
???
They arrived Friday and we were sold out Saturday Morning.
??? !!!
Corinna loves me, so she has arranged to set aside 20 books of 10 stamps each (from the re-order) when they arrive, and place an additional order to replace the 20 books claimed by me from the current order.
I will probably have to give Corinna a few more house plants because of this.

So here's the plan:
(1) Those of you who want a book of stamps, or one or two stamps can place an order now in a PM
(2) When the books arrive and are paid for and collected I will post an update here and set aside stamps/books according to received PMs.
(3) Then I will PM you asking for some sort of mailing address, PO Box, work address, home address, son’s university address, or what have you.
(4) I will then post your stamps to you in an envelope.
(5) If you want the envelope to carry a Bonavista stamp, please indicate that in your first PM. That stamp will be part of your total order. Specify whether you want the stamp to be clearly franked. I don’t know if they have a circular franking stamp nowadays.
(6) What have I forgotten?

Slavishly Yours :hailpraise:
Chris

(1) idiot Machos drive by and splash my pants, which means a second load of washing this week
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

20240322_093644.jpg
20240322_093706.jpg
20240322_093743.jpg
The only franking stamp available dates from the "Matthew" centenary in 1997. Soz.
Corrina assures me that any stamp thus franked will be valid.
Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
18 Feb 2024, 13:27
for all the trials of the three-body problem, ...
I found this YouTube video mesmerizing.
Cheers, Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Experience the Purkinje effect during the total solar eclipse

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
I have my afternoon planned for Monday, April 8th, at a little resort in Texas.
PJ, make sure that you take red, green, and blue clothing with you - an no! NOT your PJs.
Wear red and green to experience the Purkinje effect during the total solar eclipse

And while I'm at it this page has a map (last image) that shows Bonavista easily pipping gander as "last place in Canada".

I seek clarification: The eclipse shadow is essentially circular, right? So a town such as Tiptonville that is fittingly described in the same page as being on the edge of the path of totality should experience mere seconds of totality compared to a town (such as Indianapolis) on the centre line.

I have green sweaters, and a red lining to my fall coat. I might wear a blue sweater knotted around my neck ...

I seek further clarification: The Purkynë effect is an effect generated by the rods and cones in the human eye, so images captured on my digital camera/phone ought NOT to exhibit this effect. Is that right?

Cheers, Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Best wishes,
Hans
:surrender: :burnup: :bwaah: :cranky: :brickwall:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

The forecast here is for cloudy skies and thunderstorms. There is still a small chance that the skies will be clear for the hour of the eclipse (totality starting at 1306 hrs).
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
Anyone else making plans for that day?
PJ, by now you will be on your way. Bon Voyage!
In kindred spirit I went out to the cape this morning (Robert was silly enough to drop by and ask if I wasted to go for a ride) so here is me doing a dry run (because I didn't fall in) on tomorrow's event
20240407_103020.jpg
On the way back we stopped to chat with a nice couple, Carol and Brian. I asked him what part of England he was from. "Colne; where are you from?" "Rawtenstall; as a kid I used to watch the Big White ladies heading up to Colne and Nelson". Wow!
Cheers, Chris

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

BobH wrote:
05 Apr 2024, 17:24
The forecast here is for cloudy skies and thunderstorms. There is still a small chance that the skies will be clear for the hour of the eclipse (totality starting at 1306 hrs).
We're in Tyler this morning, heading to Sulphur Springs shortly, to watch the clouds drift by, with a few 10's of thousands of our closest friends.... :hairout:

Chris,

Still hoping you have clear skies.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 10:59
We're in Tyler this morning, heading to Sulphur Springs shortly, to watch the clouds drift by, with a few 10's of thousands of our closest friends.... :hairout: ... Still hoping you have clear skies.
Hi PJ. I am glad to hear that you made it OK.
What happened to the donut? Is it still your spare tire, or have you been issued a new one? Google Maps says 964 miles, town to town, so I shall continue (here in Bonavista) to boast that I have a friend and colleague who is driving a thousand miles to witness the event. Folks here raise their eyebrows at the thought of anyone driving anywhere to see a Solar Eclipse. An iceberg, well of course! But a blotting-out-of-the-sun??

Niagara falls (Canada) has declared a state of emergency, fer heaven's sake.

Don't forget to take photos of, and observe with the naked eye people wearing red, green, and/or blue.

As for clear skies, that would be a blessing any day, but I am focusing on invariables, such as wildlife going crazy because their apparent sunset time differs from their internal clock, time (hence being the last person in Canada to ...) and the local population's general lack of interest. :evilgrin:

I want a full report on my desk by 9 a.m. tomorrow morning!

Cheers, Chris

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

This is the closest I can get to the e clips
https://www.huyett.com/all-products/ret ... gs/e-clips

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 11:50
This is the closest I can get to the e clips
https://www.huyett.com/all-products/ret ... gs/e-clips
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Cheers, Chris

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 12:24
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Cheers, Chris
Perhaps this is clearer then?
FB_IMG_1712592324129.jpg

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

We were able to observe totality despite intermittent cloud cover. We were able to see glimpses of the Moon eclipsing the Sun as the movement progressed. As it neared totality, heavy clouds seemed to be rolling in but they cleared long enough for us to see the entire totality period. Shortly thereafter, the skies cleared and we watched the Moon move out of our view of the Sun. We did observe a drop in temperature and a modicum of darkness - enough to cause automated lighting to come on. Birds stopped flying briefly and we heard no birdsong for about 10 minutes.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 19:29
Perhaps this is clearer then?
Oh. Now I get it.
E-clips equals eclipse.
I am truly dense today ...

Cheers, Chris

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

As the moon moves away from covering the sun, everything becomes clear again.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 19:38
... heavy clouds seemed to be rolling in but they cleared long enough for us to see the entire totality period. Shortly thereafter, the skies cleared
This is not the article I read yesterday, but it does offer an explanation for the transient disappearance of clouds.
... We did observe a drop in temperature and a modicum of darkness - enough to cause automated lighting to come on. Birds stopped flying briefly and we heard no birdsong for about 10 minutes.
Bob, I am pleased for you. Truly. You had a better experience than I, and mine was superb. Windchill was about -10c, and the wind was from the North East with gusts around 55Km/hr.
More later after I have sorted through my photos.
Cheers, Chris

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 20:24
Oh. Now I get it.
E-clips equals eclipse.
I am truly dense today ...
As the moon moves away from covering the sun, everything becomes clear again. Light!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 20:38
As the moon moves away from covering the sun, everything becomes clear again. Light!
I can still hear trombones!

Cheers, Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

For those who missed it:

Oreoclipse.jpg
Best wishes,
Hans