Some nostalgia for Australian football fans

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Some nostalgia for Australian football fans

Post by AlanMiller »

I was trying to dig up footage of (IMO) the best goal ever kicked in AFL football... and found it on YouTube!
For those interested, it was described as follows:

"In a moment that has since passed into Australian Rules folklore in 1976 Malcolm Blight kicked a famous goal after the siren against Carlton. After kicking two goals in time-on in the last quarter, Blight marked an estimated 80 metres from the goals. North Melbourne were still trailing by one point – only a goal would win the game. Many assumed Blight's effort would be futile and spectators were already entering the playing arena. However, Blight unleashed one of the biggest-ever torpedo punts winning an improbable victory for North Melbourne."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Ct1eNANdQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (23 sec)
The clip doesn't really do the situation full justice. I remember a stream of kids piling onto the ground, running past him, across his line of sight, while he was trying to concentrate on doing the impossible. BTW, a 60 metre kick is considered to be very good in the AFL code. Considering he managed to thread the ball between two posts 6.4 metres apart, from over 80 metres out... not a bad effort!

I also uncovered the nostalgic tribute song to the game, complete with video of a long history of some of the most spectacular marks ("speckys" or "screamers" as they're known) captured by the cameras, along with other famous and infamous moments. This became the promotional "theme" of the game for several years... never equaled IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxM8XB61ZvU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (3 min)
"Up There Cazaly" is an Australian sporting catchphrase inspired by former St Kilda and South Melbourne great Roy Cazaly ("Up there Cazaly" was "a phrase that would be shouted by team mate Fred "Skeeter" Fleiter when he wanted Cazaly to go for a mark"). The expression later became the basis of a song recorded and composed by The Two Man Band (Mike Brady & Peter Sullivan).

If you like AFL, take a gander. If not... carry on.

Alan