A Facebook (Or Browser) Question

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

A Facebook (Or Browser) Question

Post by Bigaldoc »

I know this is Eileen's, not Facebook, hence a Scut post. I'm trying to help a friend AND her husband who are having a Facebook problem and it's impossible to get help or support - I guess 500 million users IS a bit overwhelming. I'm waiting for some followup info from her about which browser and have already asked her to install Fx if she doesn't already have it.

The problem is that in both Private Messages AND Notes which are separate features, they seem to be limited in length of text they can enter, to something on the order of 1,100 characters in her latest PM to me. I believe they both use a single computer, BUT with separate FB accounts. Because of that AND the fact that I've scoured the FB settings and can't see anything that would cause this problem. I think it's something on their computer, like maybe java or ... ???

Any ideas out there?

Jezza
5StarLounger

Re: A Facebook (Or Browser) Question

Post by Jezza »

Al as a little test I tried to add loads of text to a private message and did a lot of cutting and pasting and it got VERY upset when I reached 87,000 chracters and each time I added a set of characters characters (assuming it was an IP address).

I know they truncate messages and have an elipses to allow you to view the full text in some messages.

I am using Firefox and cannot think of any reasons why they vary so much.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: A Facebook (Or Browser) Question

Post by Bigaldoc »

I haven't ever gone that high, Jerry, but I have written some very long notes and PMs. BTW, there IS a Facebook forum and I've asked the question there as well but so far no replies.

In my Googling I did find a page that talked about the need for having "scripting" enabled for using Facebook. Since I do have it enabled, I went to IE for a test and turned it off. Well, I don't think that can be their problem because when you turn off scripting, FB is almost crippled in MANY ways.