Can't walk and chew gum at the same time ....

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Can't walk and chew gum at the same time ....

Post by ChrisGreaves »

At last! Science proves that it is so!
"A neuroscientist explains: how we perceive the truth - podcast"
Dr Daniel Glaser explores what the wiring of the brain can tell us about how we perceive the world.

If you FastForward to the 17m 52 mark you will hear a summary, runs to about the 20m0s mark.

Cheers
Chris
He who plants a seed, plants life.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Can't walk and chew gum at the same time ....

Post by HansV »

Reminds me of the following, probably familiar phenomenon:
You're sitting in a train that's standing still at the platform.
Next to you is another train, also standing stil.
The other train departs, but it feels like your train starts moving...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Reminds me of the following, probably familiar phenomenon: You're sitting in a train that's standing still at the platform. Next to you is another train, also standing stil. The other train departs, but it feels like your train starts moving...
Many of suspected all along that you were Einstein reincarnated ... :laugh:

I think that a great part of the illusion you mention is the brain wanting to be going, and that that desire tips part of the brain's circuitry into believing that it is going.

There is much about brains in general that I do not understand. There is even more about my own brain that puzzles me :grin:

Cheers
Chris

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

HansV wrote:Reminds me of the following, probably familiar phenomenon:
You're sitting in a train that's standing still at the platform.
Next to you is another train, also standing stil.
The other train departs, but it feels like your train starts moving...
I've experienced this in my car. On my way home from work there is a traffic light at the top of a hill. The lane I occupy goes straight over the intersection. The lane to my right has cars turning to the right. As we wait for the lights to turn green, it might occur that the car next to me starts to slowly pull away (or move forward) in anticipation of the light turning green. As this happens, it feels like I am rolling backwards, even though my foot is firmly on the brake. On one occasion this effect was particularly "real" and I honestly thought my brakes were failing. In desperation I reached for the handbrake and quickly pulled it up. Only after this did it dawn on me that the car next to me was moving forwards instead of me rolling backwards. :crazy:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Same thing happens after you step off a treadmill that you've been "moving" on for several minutes. Whether walking or going faster, once the brain adjusts to the room being stationary while "moving" there's a moment of disorientation when you first step off and try to walk away.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Interesting too is that (~8:00 min mark) he alludes to the fact that, aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Alan

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Also reminded me of the strange effect of closing your eyes when swinging in a hammock. The brain seems to subtract out the horizontal/lateral motion component, and the sensation is that the motion is in a much tighter circular arc. I'm guessing this is to do with the removal of a visual "rest frame". Although Einstein would tell you there is no such frame!

Alan

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

AlanMiller wrote:Interesting too is that (~8:00 min mark) he alludes to the fact that, aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Alan
That was probably typed on a computer. A smartphone can make it very difficult to deliberately mispell.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

GeoffW wrote:That was probably typed on a computer. A smartphone can make it very difficult to deliberately mispell.
It would seem that many of the Gen Y(orZ?) journos are yet to discover smartphones then.

Alan

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Rudi wrote:I've experienced this in my car.
If I ever find myself in a car park, waiting to move off while another car is being parked beside me, I always wait until they have just stopped moving before I start creeping out. Always fun to see the expression on the other driver's face... :evilgrin:
Leif

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

AlanMiller wrote:
GeoffW wrote:That was probably typed on a computer. A smartphone can make it very difficult to deliberately mispell.
It would seem that many of the Gen Y(orZ?) journos are yet to discover smartphones then.

Alan
I think it would be too slow to produce a full story on a smart phone, no matter how good your thumb skills.

What I tend to see in the more reputable online news media is that the error rate on the news summary page is far higher than the error rate in the articles themselves. Some of the headlines I've seen have glaring typos.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:If I ever find myself in a car park, waiting to move off while another car is being parked beside me, I always wait until they have just stopped moving before I start creeping out. Always fun to see the expression on the other driver's face... :evilgrin:
Amateurs.
Rank Amateurs!!

For a really great time in a car park, wait until Christmas Time, when the car park at the local mall is choc-a-block, then walk out of the mall swinging your set of keys in your hand.

You don't need car keys for this; just any set of keys on a key ring will do.

Once you have five or six cars slowly trailing you waiting to pounce, duck between two cars and repeat the process heading back to the mall.

This has kept me occupied for hours. Good exercise, too.

Cheers
Chris

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

In Texas you could be shot for that, Chris; and no court in the state would find your assailant guilty. :fanfare: :fanfare: :flee:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:... and no court in the state would find your assailant guilty.
:rofl: :laugh: